Chapter Three: No Friends Needed

When I was younger, I used to hate the sound of silence

When I was younger, I used to hate the sound of silence. Any second of silence was ear deafening and drove me completely insane. I used to feel like those movies where the crickets would come and make sounds anytime it was silent. That's what it felt like to me. However, now I wish and longed for a second of silence.

Sighing, I leaned against the counter. The echo of the door closing as Nick and Willa both left after an entire day of work, radiated off the walls. Quinn left a couple minutes before they did and I had to force the twins to leave after they got into another argument. They managed to make the customers leave the bar with glares and complaints. I forced Gracie and Echo to leave before I had to docked their pay. Thankfully, Frank Miller who always passed out drunk at the bar, left which means I was finally by myself.

I could actually breath and be by myself which was the perfect medicine that I needed right now. It was exactly what I needed to help my headache from a full day of work. Except, I knew my day was far from over because I still had work to do. I had to double check that my sisters actually did what they were told to do and judging the straw wrapper on the floor, I knew they did not do what I asked.

Groaning, I shook my head as I walked back towards the storage closet where we kept all the mops and cleaning supplies. Every time I asked my sisters to do something for me, they always managed to get in an argument and end up not finishing or even starting the task. It was always left to me in the end which made my blood boil.

Though I loved my sisters, I was very close to telling them they couldn't step foot in the bar again. I made a mental note to talk to Jason about the twins' behavior. If I don't, I'm going to end up with gray hair before I turn twenty-five.

Grabbing the dish bin, I started picking up the dirty plates and glasses on the table. Rolling my eyes, I threw the half eaten hamburger out in the trash and put the plates with the rest of the dirty ones. I hated when people wasted their food. In my opinion, if someone was finished with their food they should take it home with them to finish another day so it doesn't go to waste in the trash can.

Placing the bin on my hip, I pushed through the doors of the kitchen and left it on the counter beside the sink. Walking back behind the bar, I reached underneath the counter and grabbed the rags I kept back there to clean the glasses.

Carefully placing the glasses on the counter, I started cleaning the inside of the glasses and placed them on the counter in a row. I was very specific about the way I cleaned in the bar. I wanted everything to be met with the highest standard. When my mother used to be in charge of the bar before my step-father Jason, the bar used to be a complete mess. I was pretty sure there weren't any customers beside Frank but I knew he only came to get drunk and pass out at the counter.

My cell phone lit up beside me and I grabbed it as my step-fathers name flashed.

"Hello?" I said as I picked it up.

"Lara, how's it going?" Jason asked.

I looked around at the empty bar and quietly sighed, "It's going"