Seventy Two

Bellicostic
(adj.) Aggressive, belligerent

Artemis POV

I couldn't tell how much time has passed since I had no way of knowing, but with each try of mind linking I grew more and more exhausted.

The barrier in my mind was as unmovable as it had been when I first woke up and I was only left feeling frustrated.

I had no way of communicating with the outside world and I had no idea what McConor was doing right now. Had he already started the attacks?

I was feeling nauseous just by thinking of all the packs he would destroy if I'd didn't somehow figure out my way around this. The pressure was only making me more frustrated and I huffed after another failed attempt, leaning my aching head against the damp wall and closing my eyes.

I listened for any kind of sounds and asides from the sound of dripping, there was nothing to hear. I couldn't catch anything.

I perked up, suddenly hit with an idea.

Closing my eyes, I tried focusing my mind, channeling my energy differently this time. Instead of mindlinking others, I listening for the thoughts of others around me.

It was quiet, and I struggled to hear anything. At first, I thought it was because no one was close enough to me, but as I strained my ears and my mind to catch anything, I felt the hope in my chest wither away.

I guess the witch had really taken all of my mental powers.

Jesus Christ, how long am I expected to stad out here?

I gasped, my eyes snapping open as I looked around me. I double checked that no one was in the dungeons with me and had said that aloud before closing my eyes again to focus.

I felt my mind slip away from my body, floating in that familiar grey space. I searched for the mind that had spoken those thoughts but suddenly came up blank.

I could feel more frustration bubble under my skin, not wanting to lose the only opportunity I had.

Focus.

I inhaled deeply, holding it for a second before slowly exhaling. I let go of all the emotions I had balled up inside me and relaxed my body. Letting my mind drift, I concentrated on hearing the voice I had heard earlier.

Focus.

Where the fuck is Jeremy? He's cutting into my lunch time.

I was careful to not let myself grow excited and react. Instead, I directed my energy into trying to delve even deeper into his mind and see through his eyes.

Focus.

I was standing in an empty hallway, the dim light above me humming and flickering. I glanced at my digital watch, huffing as I realised it was now half past twelve.

"Jeremy that fucking idiot," I hissed under my breath.

My feet were beginning to ache so I shifted my weight from foot to foot. I settled with leaning on the metal door behind me, crossing my arms over my chest.

It was quiet for a while and I grew even more irritated, slowly bubbling into anger. I wanted to shout for Jeremy to hurry up but I realised he probably wouldn't hear me underground.

Instinctively, I reached for my phone, but sighed as I realised calling Jeremy would be useless too.

"Why doesn't this stupid place have network?" I groaned.