Fifty Five

Hagridden
(n.) Worried or tormented as by a witch

The confusion in the air was apparent as everyone turned their questioning gaze on me. It took a moment to silence the initial outcry of my confession, but once I did I began explaining.

"The wolves also attacked some of your covens right?" I asked Seraphine.

"Yes though they didn't get far or do much harm," She added.

"Hunters are the only enemy we all have in common. We believed them to have been disbanded and destroyed for a long time, which gives them ample time and space to gather the means for these large attacks," Thankfully, the witches did seem to understand my reasoning.

"I don't understand who these hunters are," Zane interrupted.

"They're humans who just have a dislike against any supernatural creature and team up to form large groups. Up until this point, we didn't think they still existed since they've been so silent for decades," I bit my lip, feeling a little concerned at how little was known about these humans and their numbers.

"A lot of packs that had been attacked did say they detected a few human scents lingering, though initially it was missed due to the stench of the wolves," Kieran added, his hand gripping mine beneath the desk.

I smiled up at him, squeezing his fingers back. Not only had he heard my thoughts about the matter yesterday, but we of course discussed it too which only solidified things between us.

"So now what do we do?" Vaughn asked, rubbing a hand down his face.

"Try and capture the humans during the next attack?" I suggested, though I looked towards the witches for their input. It was obvious we were out of our element and needed them on our side.

"And we can try track the witch. We can get a read of the magical signature from the possessed wolves though we would need them alive," Lilith piped up, speaking for the first time.

"We don't know when they'll attack us next though. Do we just sit and wait?" Zane asked, looking as frustrated as I felt.

"Yes that's the only way I'm afraid. We have no way on knowing where they come from without live hostages," Seraphine frowned.

"I don't know when they'll attack us next but there are several packs out there that have yet to be attacked. Do you think they'd be more likely to be targeted?" Apollo asked, glancing around the large table.

"Yes they could be. I suggest we send a couple of witches to each pack so they can help trace the magic if they are attacked," Medea said, looking thoughtful.

"Good and we'll tell them to keep an eye out for human scents," Kieran added with a nod.

"So that's settled then. I'll have the treaty documents prepared so we can formally announce our allegiance to the werewolf and witch public," Seraphine stated, looking around the table for any objections.

"Yes, it's settled," I agreed. The air was a little lighter now, though everyone seemed tense and still in thought. I turned to the witches, hoping a distraction would help. "Would you like a tour of the pack grounds?"

"Yes, that would be wonderful," the head witch clappped her hands and beamed, standing up as I did. She held her elbow out to me which I linked my arm through and we walked through the pack house and outside.

The rest trailed behind us, their conversation light and playful as they strolled leisurely.

"You're much more than a spirit wolf," She spoke up after a moment of silence. Although she said it like a statement, I detected the question in her tone and explained.

"Yes, I am half Healer and half True Warrior," I smiled at the thought of my parents, though it quickly vanished as their last moments played in my head.

"Of course. Those marking on your arms speak of great power," I looked down at my wrists instinctively, admiring Diana's handiwork with a soft smile.

"Yeah. I still need to practice my healing. It's hard to do so without draining myself," I murmured, remembering the time where I had managed to wake the people from the comas. I wasn't even sure how I managed to do it and I couldn't quite do it again.

"You have your father's spirit and your mother's warmth," I looked up at the taller witch, caught off guard by her words. They took me back to one of my first vision I had of my parents when I was in the prisons, both of them in that meadow while they were pregnant with me.

They said the exact same thing to each other.

"You knew my parents," She didn't say anything, just gave me a cryptic smile, glancing at me with her green and purple eyes.

"Tell me about them," I mumbled, still a little lost from her words, feeling the sorrow burn in my chest. All those nightmares of hearing their screams and shouts was getting to me and I wanted something positive.

And she did just that. While I steered us around the pack grounds, she would narrate tales of my mother as a young girl, learning how to control her powers. Seraphine was the witch that taught my mother so much and grew so close to her.

She also spoke of my father and what she remembered of him. Thankfully, she kept it light and only stuck to the happy memories which had me smiling in no time.

We came to a pause at the training grounds where the guys immediately took off their shirts to show off their skills. It was fun to watch my mate effortlessly defeat his every opponent.

I felt myself zoning out and I froze as I realised I was being mindlinked. I recognised it to be Selene and heard her voice ring in my head.

'Bad news Artemis. There's been another attack,'

'Where?' I asked, feeling her wince before she answered.

'A vampire coven was attacked a couple hours ago by the wolves. By the looks of it they took care of it, but they are extremely aggravated. They think we declared war on them and are preparing to attack several werewolf packs,'

I felt my own panic rise along with Selene's but I squished it down.

'Where are they heading?' I asked, feeling my gut churn with anticipation.

'They're heading straight your way, coming from the northern sides,'

'How many?' I asked.

'I heard around fifty though there's no way of me knowing. I've alerted the rest of the packs now and they are preparing,'

'I've got to go. I'll keep you informed,'

I quickly shut off the mindlink and refocused on my surroundings. I noticed Quin had joined us and looked to be in the midst of telling the distressing news I had just received.

They all looked to me and watched my next words.

"Vampires are heading this way. We need to prepare."