Sixty Eight

Sluagh
(n.) The spirits of the restless dead

Hunting had been great. We had both shifted for the first time in a while and being in our wild forms was truly freeing. In those moments, we were carefree and happy, with no responsibilities or weight on our shoulders.

But of course, all good things must come to an end.

A sense of deja vu hit me, stealing the breath out of my lungs and wiping the smile off my face. My vision blurring in an out of focus and the sudden chill in my body let me know I was being shown another vision, and despite my attempts to fight it, I was transported unwillingly to another time and another place.

I could tell it lasted a while and much like last time, I came out gasping, choking on screams and tears.

I was once again shown that same vision of my parents' brutal murder and the massacre of their people.

Kieran sat with me on the ground, holding me and petting my hair, murmuring sweet nothings as I slowly came back to reality.

"I guess it's back to work huh?" I chuckled bitterly, slightly leaning back to look at Kieran. He sighed, lips pursed.

"I contacted your uncle earlier. He's waiting in the pack house," His words surprised me.

"Why did you do that?" I wasn't annoyed or anything, just rather curious as to why my uncle was needed.

"I'm worried about you and these visions," he admitted softly, stroking my face. His thumb pressed lightly on my forehead, where my brow was creased and I sighed, pursing my own lips and dropping the frown that had unconsciously stuck.

"We should go back then," I murmured. He nodded, standing up and helping me and we walked back out of the woods silently, in much worse spirits than when we walked in.

Goddess I couldn't wait till these hunters were gone and I'd be able to relax with my mate.

We both entered the pack house and thankfully, I didn't have to look for my uncle. He stepped into the reception area, a large warm smile on his face and his arms wide open.

I embraced him, inhaling his spicy scent and only realising at that moment just how much I had missed him.

Why did I wait so long to see him?

We both broke from the embrace and took a moment to analyse each other. He looked a little older, a few wrinkles around his eyes more defined than I last remembered but he had a light twinkle in his dark irises that wasn't there last time.

"You look well Uncle. I take it you and Cora are happy?" I teased.

"I should be saying that to you. Tell me, when are the pups coming?" I blinked at him owlishly, caught off guard by his question. I heard Kieran cough to hide his chuckle besides me. Before I could come up with a response, he brushed it off with a wave of his hands, suddenly gripping both my hands in his.

"That's not why I'm here though. Your mate spoke of these visions you've been getting," I nodded solemnly, the vision still fresh in my mind from a only a couple moments ago.

"Yes. Shall we take this to the office?" He nodded and the three of us walked towards the office, settling in the soundproof room for privacy. I settled on the sofa besides him while Kieran stood opposite us.

"I keep seeing the day the Silverclaws were massacred. My vision focuses mainly on my parents and a specific group of hunters," I began. His face hardened at my revelation, and he nodded thoughtfully.

"It seems the spirits of the fallen are restless. That's why you keep getting the vision. They want justice," His explanation didn't make anything better, if anything just raised more questions.