Five

Picture above is Artemis's tattoos.

Toska
(n.) A dull ache of the soul, a sick pining, a spiritual anguish.

We had been in the prison for a while now and in my boredom, I was quickly getting to know the other prisoners next to me.

The one eyed woman who spoke so ominously was Erica. She was twenty seven. and had been trapped in here for a year. She had trespassed on the land and had stolen some money so she could leave the country. Apparently her trial was still pending.

Leo was the name of the boy in the cell besides me. He was dark skinned with thick black curls flopping onto his forehead and mischievous brown eyes. He was only seventeen. He had tried joining the pack as his last one had been destroyed, but he was instead imprisoned.

Celia was slightly older and was thirty nine. She wasn't a rogue, but was part of the Phantom Pack. Her parents had betrayed the pack and had been executed. She was put in the prison because the pack thought she had played a role. She had been imprisoned for three months and was pending an execution.

Then there was Santiago who was of Latino background like me. He had tan skin and light brown hair. He had mistakenly trespassed on pack lands while being chased by other rogues. He was barely older me, only twenty five.

Lucy was another inmate. She was quiet and didn't talk much so I didn't know why she was in here or for how long. She was young, only fifteen with pin straight black hair and dark slanted eyes.

"I am going on a picnic and bringing sandwiches, cake, lemonade, apples, pie, ice cream and...beer!" I heard some chuckle at Leo's addition to the list.

We were playing a children's game called 'I Am Going On A Picnic And Bringing...'. Everyone would add an item to the list and the next person would have to recall the whole list before making an addition of their own.

It was silly and childish but it passed time.

Hearing footsteps suddenly approach, we quietened and stepped back from the bars. There were two sets of footsteps and judging by their heaviness, they were large and well built males.

The large figures stopped by my cell and I heard the door unlock before it was slid open. One of the figures I recognised. He was the older male with blond hair who had captured Conan and I.

He held something out to me and looking down at it, I realised it was the soft cotton dress from earlier. I quickly slipped it on.

It was short.

"Sorry I took so long. I had to deal with my stubborn son," he joked. I didn't respond, just watching him suspiciously.

"Oh! How could I forget. I'm Elric Hadrian, nice to meet you," he held out a large rough hand for me to shake. I slipped mine in it and gave it a single firm shake before swiftly letting go.

"Well, lets get you out of here and somewhere more comfortable," he gestured for me to follow and walked out. Hesitating for a second, I stepped out the cell and looked at all my new friends.

"Go on, go! Enjoy your new freedom," Erica sneered. I rolled my eyes at her dramatic behaviour, already used to it.

"I'll be back. Remember what I said Conan. Just be ready," He nodded at my words. Erica scoffed while Leo gave me a tight smile. Santiago gave me a nod and Lucy didn't acknowledge me.

"Be careful Rémy, you don't know how rough and callous they can be. Be wary of what they want from a young girl like you," Celia whispered, her worry for me shining in her grey eyes.

"I will," I nodded. A large hand grabbed my upper arm and yanked me out the corridor. I looked up at the owner to see an impassive guard haul me up the stairs.

I ripped my arm from his grasp and his eyes flashed down at me, his hands reaching up to grab me again. I hit his hands away, not wanting his disgusting paws all over me.

Celia's words rung in my ears.

"Callum, leave the girl alone. I'm sure she can walk on her own," Elric chuckled. Though his tone was light and joking, I could hear the authority behind it still.

It was strange. He gave off this intimidating and authoritative vibe but it was weak. Everyone still seemed to respect him, but they were bold enough to talk to him and make eye contact.

He must have been an old alpha.

"Come, let me show you around," he gestured for me to step besides him and I did. He held out an elbow for me which I carefully took, lacing my arm through his.

As we toured through the magnificent place, I was glad I had put my arm in his. Otherwise I would have gotten lost, straying from the tour to touch and look at all the antiques and precious paintings.

"This is the East Wing. It's where I stay as well as the alpha. It has the best view in the entire house," he winked and I gave a small smile.

The East wing was more secluded from the rest of the house with its own kitchen dining room, library and study as well as several bedrooms.

He led me down a corridor before opening a door. It was a bedroom. A large one at that.

Everything was decorated in neutral shades of grey and whites and silvers. The bed was a large queen sized one which I desperately wanted to lay in. It even had an en suite bathroom from what I could tell.

"This is where you'll be staying," I turned to look at the man, confusion written on my face.

"Why?" I asked.

"So you're not too far off from the alpha. He's next door by the way," he whispered the last part to me with a wink, like it was a secret.

My mind wandered over the raven haired man with the icy eyes. His presence demanded respect and he oozed power. I was sure he was the alpha.

My chest tugged and I was filled with a familiar dull ache.

"What of the others in the prisons? Do they get the same treatment as I?" I asked. His smile fell, giving way to a stern expression.

"That's a matter you must take up to the alpha. I can no longer intervene in that boy's decisions," he muttered. He let go of my arm and stepped back.

"Someone will be here to fetch you for dinner. You can freshen up until then," With a nod of his head, he left the room, closing the door behind him with a soft click. I waited for the sound of the door being locked but was surprised when I didn't hear any.

I had so many questions right now.

I looked around the room, my feet automatically headed towards the glass wall at the back. It offered a great view of snowy forest and I could spot several cabin homes nestled in the trees. A massive frozen lake gleamed under the sun.

It was truly a winter wonderland.

Feeling tired from all the questions spinning in my head, I headed towards the bed. It was soft yet firm and I sighed a little, not having slept on such a luxurious bed before. I curled under the soft sheets and closed my eyes, dozing off into a dream filled with blue eyes and black hair.