Fifty Two

Madeleine
(n.) Something that triggers memories.

I decided that I was no longer needed in that moment and left to give the family some privacy. Kieran was still confused and conflicted about his mother and had quickly told his father and sister the news and they had both scurried to him, both just as conflicted and confused.

They would no doubt need to visit the pack therapist soon.

It was strange though. All this time, Kieran and the pack had hated all rogues and ferals due to the actions of the former Luna. Had they realised she had been possessed, I wonder what that would have meant for me and Conan and every other unfortunate soul who had accidentally stumbled into pack lands.

Would Kieran have accepted me and mated sooner?

That means I wouldn't have run away and I wouldn't have met all the rogues in the prisons that now formed the Silverclaw guardians.

It also meant I might not have become a spirit wolf.

It was Kieran driving me away that ultimately triggered me into becoming who I am today. It also shaped Kieran's life and made him change to become the better man that he is today.

Thinking like this made my head hurt.

I changed my direction and decided to take a walk around the village instead of the forest. I could use a distraction right now and wanted to see how the people were doing.

As I walked by, I received a lot of greetings and smiles. Some children even tried to convince me to play hide and seek with them which I had to unfortunately decline. I wasn't in the mood to play games or entertain people.

It was quite pleasant to be greeted so warmly and welcomed so openly. Much like their alpha, the pack had also changed their attitude towards me.

I wanted to just calmly walk by and enjoy the scenery.

Unfortunately, the universe has other plans for me because I stumbled across the one person I least expected to find.

Aerin.

She was sitting dejectedly on a rock outside the village and just at the edge of the forest. She didn't notice me straightaway and only looked up when I tried to walk away.

Her bitter laugh cut the air and I turned back to her, more curious than annoyed. Her green eyes looked hollow with shadows underneath them and she looked more gaunt and pale than I remembered.

"You must feel so smug right now," she stated, looking me up and down. That statement only made me confused as I fully turned around to face her.

"Why would I feel so smug?" I asked, raising a brow at her.

"It's obvious isn't it? You got the guy and I was tossed aside," I furrowed my brows, wondering if she was childish enough to be bitter that I was happy with my mate.

"Kieran is my mate, of course we'd end up together," I scoffed, disbelieved at the woman before me. She chuckled under her breath, shaking her head to her self while she picked at her dress distractedly.

"Not just the alpha. My own mate tossed me aside too," she mumbled, her eyes glazing over as she clenched her fists tightly in her lap. Her knuckles looked alarmingly white from her tight grip and I grew concerned.

I was even more confused.

"Your mate?" I asked. She laughed almost maniacally, sneering at me.

"You're so caught up in your own happpy little bubble you don't realise what's going on around you," she spat. "Yes, my mate tossed me aside to continue seeing his girlfriend and it's the moon goddess' way of slapping me in the face for hurting her precious little spirit wolf!" She yelled.

Again, I ignored her disrespectful tone and unnecessary shouting because I was more concerned for her mental well being.

"I am not smug or laughing at you and the moon goddess is not some cruel person that would seek out revenge on anyone, much less on my behalf," I began, carefully approaching her.

"How would you know?" She sneered.

"Because I am bound to her myself. She is fair and kind and patient," I stopped until I stood in front of the blond woman before slowly lowering myself besides her. "And much like I forgave everyone else, I also forgave you a long time ago," I had honestly not given her a second though to be honest. Kieran and I had mated and marked each other and he had expressed his loyalty to me before that so I never worried.

"As for the issue with your mate, I will speak to him and ask that he either accept or reject you so you can both move on," I assured, gently placing my hand on her bony shoulder. She looked even more smaller and frailer up close. It was unfair to keep someone waiting like that and sitting so close to Aerin, I felt a little guilt knowing that I put Kieran through the same thing, granted though he did deserve it at that point.

I quickly brushed my thoughts away.

There was no need to dwell on the past like that.

"Reject me? I would die from the humiliation and the pain," Aerin protested, though sounding a lot more resigned than her previous fiery attitude.

"Not if I cut off your bond to him," she looked up at me, her green eyes wide with her surprise and shock.

"You can do that?" She asked.

"Yes I can," I replied. It wouldn't be easy to do such a thing since I'd have to go deep into her wolfs mind to sever the subconscious bond, but it was possible. The moon goddess gave me power over the realm of the mind and with it came a lot of possibilities.

"Granted it's not easy and you might feel the mate bond slightly if you're near each other or touch each other, but it would be essentially gone," I continued, concerned by her silence. She just blinked up at me slowly.

"You would do that for me?" She asked, her eyes glassy.

"Of course. It's my job to ensure the happiness and well being of every wolf. No exceptions," She blinked up at me again, her eyes shining with water and my heart squeezed for her, knowing how much pain she's in right now.

"No ones ever done anything nice for me," she mumbled, looking away to wipe her eyes. I didn't say anything in return, just squeezed her shoulder gently to show my support and understanding.

I knew her and Kieran had a long past together, that much he told me and I had my own fair share of partners too. While the thought was displeasing due to the mate bond, it was a truth I had accepted quickly and moved on from as Kieran had accepted mine too. The past didn't matter now that our future would be together.

It may be odd to others that I was trying to comfort my mate's ex lover and my past tormentor, but she was a member of my pack and a wolf amongst the many I swore to protect so I was just doing my job. My emotions and feelings had no say in this.

"Shall we go speak to your mate now?"

She slowly nodded, standing up and I followed suit. She was slightly hunched over as she walked so I linked my arm through hers to hold her steady. We both walked in silence through the village, letting her mentally prepare for what was about to happen.

What an odd turn my day just took.