Twenty Six

Novaturient
(adj.) Desiring or seeking powerful change in ones life or situation.

Leaving was a lot easier than I thought, with no one seeming to notice my absence. Even while we drove away, creating miles between us and the pack lands, the whole thing still felt strangely anticlimactic for me.

Regardless, we were soon driving through empty roads, avoiding any pack lands by sticking closer to human towns and cities. We had been driving all night and only paused sometime during the morning to get more fuel before we were back on the road again.

"Tell me about my family Uncle," I piped up, breaking the comfortable silence. We were driving in his truck, the three of us sitting in the cab while our lives were packed up in bags behind us in the bed of the truck.
He chuckled, shaking his head to himself besides me.

"Your parents were some of the most impressive people I knew," he began.

"My family come from a long line of healers. We've all been blessed by the moons goddess to have exceptional healing powers, but my younger sister was by far the most talented out of all of us," he smiled to himself and I felt my lips quirk on the corner.

"There were six of us in total, all boys except little Sophia. While most of us had accelerated healing all our lives, we were only able to heal others properly and control our energy in our mid to late teens.

Sophia however was able to do so before she was even ten. It was miraculous and unheard of. She could not only heal and comfort others, but she had a way with plants too. She could make all sorts of concoctions, from medicinal pastes to poisonous weapons. She even attracted a few witches to learn from," he chuckled.

"Life was good back then, everything was simple. We were the alphas of a small but thriving pack and everyone was happy," he reminisced.

I didn't dare interrupt him and decided to save any questions for after.

"There was another small pack nearby that we were allies with. That was your father's pack. His family was also the alpha family. While we were notorious for our being Healers, the Garcia family were notorious for being True Warriors," he continued.

It was truly amazing to hear that both my parents and their families had not only been fearless alphas, but also powerful Gifted people. I felt pride swell in my chest hearing this about my parents, but also a tinge of sadness as I would never get to meet them.

"Your parents met during an alliance meeting, when Hunters were growing in numbers and attacking. Our packs were a few of the closest to their main operating base and since we were smaller in numbers than most packs, we were an easy target for them," he frowned.

"Despite all the darkness, they still fell in love and brought a wonderful light into our lives. Their union only solidified our alliance and we eventually became one pack; The Silverclaw Guardians," he trailed off. He pursed his lips, looking lost while the hum of the engine filled the silence as Romeo continued driving.

"The hunters attacked unexpectedly with such force. It was chaos that day. Your parents tried to save whoever they could but in doing so, sacrificed themselves," he gave a sad smile, and squeezed my hand.

"How did I end up in the forest?" I asked.

"I'm not entirely sure. I'm not even sure how many survived. We were all separated and scattered," he sighed, rubbing a tired hand down his face, suddenly looking so worn.