Forty Two

Redintegrate
(v.) To make whole again; restore to a perfect state.

Just as I predicted, I was very busy during the day. I had to quickly familiarise myself with the organisation system of all the paperwork once again and overlook applications of people requesting to join or leave the pack while resolving issues amongst pack members. From petty arguments like stolen money, to larger issues like the overcrowding crisis in the hospitals and orphanage.

"Why are there such large numbers of orphans in this pack?" I asked.

"We lost many warriors during wars with other packs and their mates died too, leaving their children behind," Apollo explained, running a tired hand across his face.

"Okay, why not build a larger orphanage so there's more space?" I suggested.

"We still need to review the plans before authorising construction," he answered.

"Well why aren't the plans being reviewed yet?" I huffed, growing frustrated.

"The alpha was...preoccupied and unable to authorise anything and I was busy covering his other duties," I leaned back in my chair as Apollo explained sheepishly.

"I see," I watched the man opposite me for a moment, noting his unkempt curls and the dark shadows that were prominent even on his darker skin.

"You've taken over the alpha duties," I stated. Though it wasn't a question, he nodded solemnly.

"Why isn't Kieran doing his job?" I asked. Kieran had disappeared the moment we shifted back and I had been too busy to search for him.

"He's in the pack village," he answered shortly. It was obvious that he hadn't been taking care of the pack while I had been away and as such, pack morale had dropped as they no longer trusted their alpha.

"I think it's time for him to step back in his position. Call for a meeting in the great hall. Every wolf must be present, even the pups," I stood up from my desk, leaving my office to look for the alpha of the pack.

I headed out into the pack village, not missing the way the people stared at me or steered their children away from me. The village itself was beautiful, with cottage like homes built around in small clusters to form a lovely community. The snow and icicles gleaming in the light gave it all a Christmassy vibe.

I found him by the pack orphanage, watching the children play. He hadn't noticed me yet so I took that chance to admire his profile.

He was easily one of the most handsome men I had seen. His dark hair and eyebrows contrasted with his smooth pale skin and his sharp nose, cheekbones and jaw looked as if they were carved by the moon goddess herself.

He eventually felt my gaze on him and turned, offering me a small smile as our gazes met. I walked up to him, standing besides him to watch the children play in the snow, their laughter filling the air.

"I've called a pack meeting," I began. He didn't voice his question out loud so I continued. "I want you to address the pack," I explained. He turned to face me.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"The pack doesn't trust you and it's bringing everyone down. They need to see you, hear from their alpha. You'll need to apologise," I explained. I smoothed out his shoulders, brushing away invisible pieces of lint.

"You need to show them that you're strong and capable and most importantly, a changed man," I offered a small smile at the end as he gaped at me momentarily before shaking himself from his stupor.

"You've been procrastinating," he had the decency to look bashful at my observation. "Contrary to what you may think, you are worthy of being the alpha. You've already convinced me, now you need to convince the people," I finished.

"You think I'm worthy?" His hopeful tone and small smile were adorable, so I couldn't help the girlish giggle that escaped me.

"Yes. Despite your flaws, I know deep down you're a good person and a good alpha," I assured. It was true. Even without my spirit wolf powers, I knew he was genuine and sincere with his words and he had changed while I had been away.

Of course, that still meant he had to gain back my trust. I didn't want him to return to his old ways so I had to let him work for my forgiveness before I dived into a relationship.

The mate bond however, was making it harder to remain indifferent and unattached.

"Okay," he nodded resolutely. I watched as his posture changed from casual and relaxed, to authoritative and demanding. I smiled and stepped back, letting him take the lead as we walked to the hall.

Apollo had done as I asked and gathered every pack member, regardless of age and gender. They all stood impatiently, wondering why they had been gathered on such short notice.

Kieran and Apollo stood up on the stage but I chose to hang back in the shadows. It wasn't my moment to shine. This was something he had to do on his own.

"Everyone!" The hall hushed as their beta demanded their attention. "Your alpha has an announcement to make,"

He took confident steps towards the center of the stage, his face hard and steady. It reminded me so much of when I first met him.

"I have gathered you all here today to apologise for my actions," hushed murmurs could be heard as he paused speaking. "I have failed you as an alpha and abandoned my duties to you all," the pack members were all confused and looked incredulous.

To be fair, it wasn't everyday you had an alpha apologise.

"I had not only driven our Luna away, but I put you at risk. By succumbing to my emotions, I left you all defenceless and vulnerable. I hope you can give me a chance to prove myself. I will not abandon you ever again," the relief in the air was almost tangible. While some pack members looked sceptical at his words, most were genuinely relieved and happy.

"I will make the necessary changes to ensure we are back to being one of the strongest packs in America!" He roared and the crowd roared back in cheers.

I smiled to myself, glad that the pack links had been improved.

Now I can begin making my changes.