Thirty Two

Lethologica
(n.) When you can't think of the word for something

Diana and I had said goodbye to the pack to leave early for the ceremony. We thought it'd be best to arrive a day earlier to get to know everyone and acquaint myself with the elders and the other spirit wolves.

"So why don't people know about spirit wolves?" I asked, breaking the silence of the car. We still had a while to go before getting there and I figured I could get some questions answered.

"It's a long story," she brushed off.

"It's a long ride," I countered, glancing away from the road to give her a pointed look. She sighed but gave in, shuffling into the seat before speaking.

"It's mainly to remain protected against threats, the biggest one being hunters," she explained. "They attacked werewolves, vampires, witches, almost every supernatural creature they could get their hands on. They would specifically hunt gifted individuals, like head witches or powerful vampires," she paused.

"Is that's why they attacked my parents? Because they had extra powers?" I asked.

"Yes, they knew about Gifted werewolves and targeted them particularly. Your parents' pack was one amongst many," she sighed. "We've lost many gifted individuals to those humans. Particularly the elementals.
"They almost wiped them out to extinction and those gifted with elemental powers by the goddess are hard to come by these days," she muttered. It was silent for a moment longer, the hum of the truck filling the quiet.

"The elders decided to not publicise the existence of the spirit wolves and eventually it all became a sort of myth, a forgotten legend," she shrugged.

"And when was the last presentation ceremony of the spirit wolf?" I asked.

"Two centuries ago I believe," she murmured, deep in thought. "A young lady from Scandinavia. You'll meet her today," I nodded, gripping the steering wheel tighter. Nervous excitement ran through me for a second.

"How many spirit wolves and elders are there?"

"At the moment there's six spirit wolves, of which you'll make the seventh and a total of seven elders," I nodded at her answer.

"And how do you become an elder exactly?" Diana groaned besides me.

"What's with all the questions?" I laughed at her frustration.

"You're always so cryptic Diana, I have to fish everything out from you," I pointed out. She huffed but answered.

"There's no real process of becoming one, you just have to be wise and old as fuck," I snorted at her choice of words.

"I just have one more question. My mother was a Healer and my dad was a True Warrior. Am I supposed to train or something to be able to use my powers properly?" Diana had only taught me how to use my mental powers.

"Those powers are mainly instinctual but if you'd like to train them properly, I suggest you practice with a witch or a warrior," she mused. "Now let me sleep the rest of the journey. I'm fucking tired," I chuckled at the old woman besides me.
She shuffled once more in her seat before closing her eyes as I continued driving the rest of the way in silence.

Finally, after a couple of hours, we crossed the border into the central territory. I immediately sensed wolves running in the forest on either side of the road.

I continued driving until I came to a halt in front of a large brick mansion. The building looked old but well kept, the windows and the stone architecture screaming of a different era.

A formally dressed man stood by the door, hands clasped behind his back. Diana and I stepped out the truck, the man at the door welcoming us.

"Greetings Diana, Artemis, the Elders have been expecting you," he opened the large double doors and ushered us in. "I am Draek, the official ambassador for the Elders," he introduced.