6

Chapter Six

"You have got to be kidding me!" Nanlalaki ang mga matang binato ko siya ng unan na galing sa couch. It landed on the floor, at his feet. Hindi nagbago ang seryosong ekspresyon niya sa mukha nang kunin niyang muli ang unan at at ibato sa mukha ko.

"Hey, ouch!"

"You started it, Blythe."
"Ang kulit mo kasi," asik ko. "I already said I don't want to meet your family. I don't want to go to your family dinner, period."

"Come on, just do me this one solid. What's so hard about that?" Habang sinasabi niya 'yon ay umpo siya sa tabi ko. Alexander didn't seem like the type of person who would ask someone to do him a solid, but there he is, with that imposing look that is doing little to convince me.

"What's hard about that is that I'm not really your girlfried. You're asking me to lie to your mother - to your family - just because you don't want them pestering you about dating. I don't want to be your girlfriend, dimwit." I rolled my eyes.

He raised a thick eyebrow at me, showing me his annoyance about what I said, but I'm not taking it back. I meant it. Who wants to be this guy's girlfriend? He's got the looks, the riches, the body, the fame, the mystery... but the attitude? I'm giving him an F on that area.

"I don't want to be in a relationship with someone like you either, but you're the closest person I have to a girlfriend. It's just one night, plus you owe me."

"How dare you? I don't owe you anything -"

"Niligtas kita roon sa makulit na lalaki sa parking. The not-so-handsome celebrity guy of yours, if you've forgotten."
"I didn't need your help," I sighed. "I would do well on my own."

"Just this one time, Blythe. Isang pikitmata lang 'yan sa buhay natin."

"What's in it for me?" I dared. If he wants that so badly, then he has to pay the price for my service. Saan ka naman nakakita ng magkalandian na umaattend sa family dinners ng isa't isa? That doesn't make sense. So, if I'm going to do it, it should be under my terms.

"Well, what do you want?" he asked without even batting an eyelash.

Billionaires. I huffed.

"Let me think." I tapped my fingers on my chin.

"A vintage Louis? A VIP concert ticket? A business class flight out of the country?"

"Shhh, I'm thinking."
"Let me guess... a new coffee table the same as mine. Mukhang enjoy na enjoy ang paa mong patung-patungan ang akin, e."

Sinimangutan ko siya. Dahil ang tagal kong maka-isip ay nainip siya at pumasok sa kuwarto niya upang magbihis. Nasabi niya kanina na mayroon siyang meeting na kailangang puntahan - not that we're keeping tabs of each other's schedules, because why would I want to know what he's doing in that boring life of his?
Basically, running a large corporation. That, and that alone.

Meetings. Reviewing reports. Brainstorming marketing techniques. Approving budgets. How incredibly dreadful it is to be a workalic at that extent.

Alexander went out wrapped in his classic black and white suit. When he spoke, he didn't bother throwing me a look because he was busy arranging the tie around his neck.

"Have you decided?"

"A month's worth of groceries."

Napatigil siya sa pag-ayos ng tie. He held my gaze and I can see the curiosity in the way he regarded me. I shrugged, brushing it off.