33

Chapter Thirty Three

    ALEXANDER

    "Mom, Dad. This is a pleasant surprise." Blythe looked uneasy as she stared at her parents who were casually sitting on the couch. Her mother smiled warmly at her.

    I cleared my throat. "Good evening po. I'm Alexander Monteverde, Blythe's boyfriend."     Kinunutan lang ako ng noo ng Mama niya. I decided to look at her Dad, hopefully for some encouragement or anything. With the look her mother gave me, I would settle even with the smallest nod her Dad can give. He looked well-dressed even on a casual shirt and jeans. He looked about the same age as my mother.

    When our eyes hit, his forehead suddenly creased, lines forming just above his eyebrows. I knew I was under deep scrutiny.

    "Dad, you look like a villain who's about to ask his daughter's boyfriend to leave her alone in exchange for a million dollars." Blythe bantered, but the tension between the four of us remained.

    Her father looked me up and down and I felt suddenly intimidated. I'm not easily intimidated by anyone, but this man in front of me is starting to make me feel uneasy.

    "Did you just say your name is Alexander Monteverde?" tanong niya. His voice piqued something in my memory, something I can't quite place. It reminded me of Paris and of my favorite gateau au chocolat. It was weird.

    "Yes, Sir. Alexander Callix Monteverde," I repeated. I thought he was about to bombard me with questions and snarky comments, but he confused me by grinning.

    "It's him," Blythe's mother said while looking at me. "It's really him." Their behavior and reactions didn't make sense to me.

    "Pardon?" I didn't mean to say it in my French accent, but it came out like that anyway.

    "Je suis desole, mon fils," he slipped in the language and had an impeccable accent. "Laisse-moi t'expliquer. Suivez-moi."

    I was surprised to know my French was not as rusty as I thought it was. "Qu'est-ce qui se passe, monsieur?"

    "Mom, what's happening?" Blythe asked. "What are they talking about? How many million dollars is Dad bribing him with? He's richer, so you might want to make that a billion."

    Natawa ang Mama niya at nilapitan siya nito.

    "Honey, do you mind if I borrow your boyfriend for a while? I have to talk to him," said her father. Hindi ko alam kung ano'ng nangyayari at bakit parang pamilyar sa akin ang Papa niya. He reminded me of the good things I miss in Paris.

    "I'm not bribing anyone tonight," he confirmed. He looked at me and gave me a small smile. "Shall we, Alexander?" Tumango ako.

    We exited the unit and walked toward the elevator. He pressed button for the rooftop and I just kept my silence as the lift ascended. I was surprised to see that only a few people are here. Usually, the rooftop is filled with party-loving individuals because it's where the infinity pool was located. He motioned to the bar counter on the side and we occupied the stools. He requested for a glass of scotch from the bartender and I did the same.

    We just sat there for a while, drinking, not talking. When I couldn't help it anymore, I broke the silence. "I love her, Sir. I really do. I don't know if this is the part where you tell me to back off, but... I don't want to. I have to apologize, because that's not going to happen."

    He chuckled and slapped my back. "Amazing." He had a proud smile on his face. "You've grown up to be the man I have always imagined you would be."