chapter 8.

♢

As soon as they appeared at Grey Manor, Adonis grabbed Asteria's hand and dragged her away. Their parents were momentarily distracted by the twins, most likely discussing the intricacies of the Fawley Gala. Asteria had planned to stay hidden in her bedroom until then, not wanting to face her parents. She still had no idea if they knew of her sorting into Gryffindor, and was terrified of their reaction.

    "I don't know how you've managed it, but Mother and Father seem not to know of the trouble you get up to at Hogwarts," Adonis stated once they reached a secluded part of the manor.

    "It's because I don't get caught," Asteria responded, "I've only got one detention so far, but that's because I was late and talked back to McGonagall. I'm not her favorite student."

    "If you insist," Adonis chuckled, before looking around and lowering his voice, "They asked me what house you got into."

    "So they don't know I got into Gryffindor?"

    Her brother shook his head. "I'm unsure. I assume they won't be happy about the company you've been keeping, either. Astie... be on your best behavior this holiday."

"I'm always on my best behavior," she said sweetly, sticking her tongue out. Despite her joking tone, however, Adonis knew that the Asteria at Grey Manor was not the same Asteria at Hogwarts. Here, she was much more reserved, quiet. Less of a trouble-maker (though the house elves did find themselves cleaning failed pranks more often than not). And though he knew Asteria could hold her own against the mighty force that were the Grey parents, Adonis still worried. He gave his sister a final hug before pulling away and looking at her with a pointed expression.

"The Fawley Gala is in a few days. I'll see you then." The siblings split off, each heading in their own direction.

The girl had debated asking her brother to go play Quidditch, but ultimately decided against it. She needed to heed his advice, stay on her best behavior, and if her parents caught her on a broomstick - how unladylike! What a preposterous idea! - their anger would be unmatched. Thus, with a heavy heart, Asteria returned to her room, filled with anxieties about what tomorrow would bring. Tomorrow would be the day she had to face her parents; there was only so long she could hide from them, as she knew they'd ask what house she was sorted into as soon as they were able to. But, for now, Asteria crawled into her bed a book, whisking herself away into another realm.

She was at home, so why didn't she feel like it?

    Punctuality, to most people, was an important quality. It was even more important to the Greys, who sneered upon those who were even a minute late. Their entire schedule was always planned to the dot, with no room for mistakes. This trait was passed down through the Grey line, although it must have skipped Asteria. She was the only Grey that, to date, was late. Be it to breakfast, to classes, to meet someone - she was never early and rarely on time. It must have been a quality she inherited from her maternal side, the Fawleys. That side never cared much for punctuality; people would wait for the Fawleys to arrive before anything would begin.