chapter 2.

♢

McGonagall's instructions were simple. One by one, in alphabetical order, they would be called up to sit on a stool, wherein a hat would determine what House they would be in. One by one, the first years filed into the Great Hall, a gasp escaping Asteria as she looked around the grand room. The ceiling had been enchanted to resemble the night sky, with hundreds of candles floating about as the source of light. Four tables, each representing a House, were lined up vertically before a horizontal table, where all the professors were seated. The Sorting Hat itself was perched upon a stool in front of who Asteria presumed to be the Headmaster.

With an overdramatic clearing of the throat, McGonagall read the first name off the list.

    "Avery, Maximus!"

    Well, Asteria didn't know that Magnolia had a brother - much less than a twin brother. Turning to look at the boy, she realized he was the spitting image of her friend.

    "Slytherin!"

    Magnolia exhaled, before strolling up to the stool as her name was called. Asteria waited with anticipation, wondering which house the hat would choose for her new friend. Finally, after about a minute, the Hat yelled out "Slytherin!" and Asteria smiled. She knew that was where Magnolia belonged, but her previous statement remained true - she didn't think Slytherin would make Magnolia evil. Not any more evil than she already was. Which she wasn't - hopefully.

    "Black, Sirius!" The boy walked up with such confidence that Asteria couldn't help but roll her eyes. The mere image of him angered her, her wet robes a reminder of how annoying he was. Given the rest of the Black history, she was expecting the Sorting to be over quickly and for him to take a seat with his cousins at the Slytherin table. And she was right, it was over quick, but Sirius Black walked right over to the Gryffindor table and took a seat. The Hall was quiet for a split second, before the Gryffindor table erupted in applause for their newest member. To his credit, Sirius simply sat, a confused look upon his face.

    "Evans, Lily!"

    "... GRYFFINDOR!"

    The redhead scrambled to a seat, face red. She looked at Severus anxiously, then made eye contact with Asteria and gave her a hesitant wave.

    "Grey, Asteria!" Finally, it was her turn. The blonde girl cleared her throat and swallowed her nerves, walking up to the stool with an aura of self-assuredness that she most definitely did not feel. Quickly casting a glance at the Slytherin table, she saw Adonis looking at her expectantly, offering her a thumbs up. Selene, who sat a bit behind him, gave her a smile as well. Asteria inhaled deeply and placed the hat firmly on her head. It slid down past her eyes, and suddenly all she could hear was a voice.

"Ahh... another member of the Grey family... I see the wits commonly associated with your father's side, and the bravery and temper from your mother's... my, my, what a temper you've got! And yet above all, your courage and sheer loyalty shine through, I can see the lengths you'll go to for your friends... well, better be - GRYFFINDOR!"