chapter 28.

♢

November 19, 1972

3:06 pm

They did not, in fact, get over it in a week. Their feud went on for two more weeks, both refusing to talk to the other until one caved in and apologised. It made for a very awkward dynamic; Asteria refused to spend time with the boys if Sirius was there, which was usually most of the time. It came down to Remus to find times separate from the boys and see Asteria, usually with Lily or Mary joining.

"Don't you think this feud is getting a little silly?" Remus asked at one point when he, Lily, and Asteria were studying in the library. Lily looked up from her parchment, immediately tuning into the conversation.

Asteria slowly looked up with narrowed eyes, quirking a brow up as if to challenge him. "Why would it be silly? Black is an immature little git, and I refuse to talk to him until he apologizes to me."

Remus and Lily sighed, as if expecting that answer. "Why're you two fighting anyway?" Lily asked. Remus widened his eyes for a moment, watching Asteria warily.

The blonde, for her part, managed to keep her composure. She pressed her lips together before looking down at her hands. "He got mad at me because I was trying to be a good friend," Asteria answered simply.

Lily wasn't happy with that answer. "I'm sure there's more to the story."

Asteria sighed. "He called me a hypocrite because - well, because I wanted to talk about him, cause I've been meaning to and he's been acting all weird since we got here, but he got mad cause he thought I was switching it around on him when I just wanted to make sure he was alright!" She dropped her head into her hands. "And then he said he wouldn't want to talk about anything with anyone, especially me - which, what does that even mean? - then he started yelling, and I started yelling, and now we haven't talked for 2 weeks."

She remained silent for a bit, eyebrows furrowing and un-furrowing as a flurry of thoughts swirled around in her mind. Truth be told, she did miss Sirius; it had been far too long without their playful bantering, and she missed seeing the boys all together. Everyone around her could tell.

"Just apologize," Lily said softly, but Asteria determinedly shook her head.

"I've got nothing to apologize for!" Asteria said.

"Merlin," Remus rubbed his temples; the bags under his eyes were growing, and he was a lot more fatigued lately. "Your entire squabble is the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed. Both of you are just too prideful to admit that you're fighting for no reason." He looked up at her. "If you don't fix it by tomorrow, which is your birthday, by the way, I'm taking matters into my own hands."

Her head snapped up. She had completely forgotten; the month of November had passed by so incredibly fast, and now it was almost over. She would be a teenager now: the big thirteen. As much as Asteria tried to be excited, a part of her worried for Christmas. Time was passing quickly, and she was older now, and her parents...