chapter 19.

♢

The summer after graduation had been nothing like Selene Grey had expected it to be. It was rather dreadful, in fact, as the older twin had spent the majority of it sulking after receiving a letter from a white owl.

Together with their families

LUCIUS MALFOY

&

NARCISSA BLACK

Request the honor of your presence at their engagement party.

AUGUST 6TH, 1972.

At half past 4 in the evening.

Malfoy Manor.

The only solace was that Narcissa was still at Hogwarts, and the wedding would not be for another year. Callie had received an invitation as well, and had immediately run to her sister's bedroom - where she had found Selene curled up in bed, looking as pale as a ghost. It was unbecoming for the older twin, who was usually incredibly put together and walked around looking like the picture of grace. To see her hiding under the sheets caused a pit to grow in Callie's stomach; thus, she had spent the past few weeks dragging Selene to every meeting she had to attend in order to kickstart her hospital. Selene was unhappy the entire time, but was glad for the distraction from the fact that the love of her life would be marrying another by next summer.

Selene had no idea what she wanted to do with her life. Part of her knew that there was no reason for her to work, given her family's wealth; all she had to do was get married and then she could live the life of a high society wife. Though that seemed to be her life's calling, Selene couldn't find anyone she wanted to marry. No one could match up to Lucius Malfoy.

And when her parents announced they would be leaving for the rest of the summer, Selene knew exactly where they would be going. And, knowing that the Malfoys would certainly be there, she volunteered to go with them. Her parents were thrilled, happy that at least one of their children had adopted the same ideals as them - they didn't need to know Selene was only joining their cause for a boy.

Callie had tried to stop her sister from going. The cause was not something that either sister stood for, and it certainly was a dangerous one - why else would her father have supported her desire to open a hospital? He had always frowned on any of his children being Mediwizards, claiming that it was unacceptable for them to be at the service of others. But Selene was adamant, convinced that if she could just see Lucius one more time, he would realize that Narcissa was a mistake. That the two of them were meant to be. Callie didn't have the heart to tell her her efforts would be in vain, and eventually gave up. All she could do was make sure her sister wouldn't be killed.