chapter 9.

december 18, 1971.

Dear Asteria,

I sent out this letter as soon as I got home! I had to explain to my parents how owls worked, which was pretty difficult but I managed it. Petunia's still ignoring me, which kind of sucks, but I've learned to live with it :( I told my parents about you, though, and they're thrilled I've made so many friends! They told me to ask if you wanted to come stay for a bit, over the summer? We've got plenty of room!

But enough about me, how are you? Excited for the gala? That was a joke, I know you're not. But good luck! I miss you so much already, my house feels so empty without you running around constantly admonishing James or Sirius.

Write back!

Love,

Lily

december 19, 1971.

Dear Asteria,

It feels so strange being back home after spending so much time at Hogwarts. Especially because I got so used to seeing everyone all the bloody time. I guess the house just feels empty without James or Sirius pulling pranks, or you lot fighting. I told my parents about you (don't let that get to your head) and they're thrilled I made friends with such a "classy young woman" (again, their words, not mine. Don't let it get to your head). They said they would be pleased to meet you; you're welcome to come visit over the summer, if you ever need a break from your family. Not sure if your parents would let you, but the offer is still there.

How are you, though? I know going back home worried you, but I hope you're alright. I'm sure you've found ways to entertain yourself, but if you haven't, I've sent you a book. It's called Catcher in the Rye, and my mum has affirmed that it's a really interesting read. Supposed to be hard, though.

Miss you,

Remus

december 20th, 1971.

Dear Asteria,

It's been two days, which is more than enough time to write back. Are you alright? I'm rather worried; Remus said you haven't written to him either. Is it your family? If it is, I understand, though I am upset - if you're ignoring me, though, I won't hesitate to throttle you when I see you next year!

Please write back, I miss you

Lily

december 20th, 1971

Hey Asteria!

Sorry it took me a while to send a letter, I couldn't figure out how owls worked. How are you? How's life back at home treating you? I hope it's not too bad. I really miss you! My mum and grandma took me to the art exhibition a few days ago, and it was absolutely beautiful! I know you also like art, so I included a photograph of one of the drawings - I dunno, I just thought you'd like it. It kind of reminded me of you :) Anyways! I just wanted to check in, make sure you're doing alright.

Hugs!

Mary

december 22nd, 1971.

Dear Asteria,

I've spoken to Lily a lot over the course of the holidays, partially as a result of you not replying. We've come to the conclusion that either you are not receiving our letters, or you simply aren't allowed to respond. Either way, I'm still going to write to you - on the off chance you might read these after all. I've managed to finish The Catcher in the Rye, and I look forward to talking about it with you when we return. It was a very entertaining read, though the author puzzles me - I'd like to live like him when I grow up. Isolated, in a cottage in the woods. It all sounds very relaxing.

James and Sirius have both written me letters asking if I've heard from you (or Lily) and it's getting to be kind of annoying. I see now why you refer to them as twats (don't tell them I said that, though).

The Fawley Gala is coming up, is it not? I wish you the best of luck with that, I know how much you hate formal pureblood gatherings. If it's any consolation, however, I'm sure you'll have a chance to see Magnolia. And Sirius as well - his parents dragged him out of Hogwarts today, they're forcing him to attend. Though I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news for you. Whatever it is, I just thought I'd inform you... even though you might not even see this letter.

I hope you respond, I miss you

Remus Lupin.

december 23rd, 1971.

Asteria,

I assume you know, but Sirius was forced to go back home for the holidays because of some gala. Honestly, though, I'm not too mad about it, because neither he or James stopped talking about you or Lils for even a SECOND! See, even Dorcas is nodding. Oh, now she's looking over my shoulder... Dorcas says hi, by the way. We miss you, the dorm isn't the same without you or Lils or Mary here. Kinda boring, honestly.

You haven't missed much here, other than James' consistent nagging. It's kind of funny, their obsession with you two. Now that Sirius is gone, James has been moping in the common room, whining about wanting his "one true love" to return. Dorcas and I discussed, and we couldn't figure out if his "love" was Sirius or you or Lily. Either way, his suffering makes me laugh.

How are you doing? I can't wait to see you again, I'm sure you'll have had a much more entertaining holiday.

Write back!

Love,

Marlene (& Dorcas)

december 23, 1971.

Asteria,

I know this letter is incredibly overdue, but my parents and brother have kept me busy the entirety of the holiday. I had to sneak away to send this letter because they wanted me to focus on family duties, but I couldn't bear going so long without talking to you. You're the only one I know that could understand the boredom that I've endured. I'm pretty sure my parents forgot it was actually Christmas. I've been dragged to a multitude of events and forced to read books about topics I have no interest in (I'm sure you can guess on what those subjects are, given my family's reputation). It hasn't been enjoyable at all, but I look forward to seeing you at the Gala, we've got so much to talk about. I hope your holidays have been a bit better, though judging by your lack of letters, I assume you've been busy as well.

Missing you,

Magnolia Avery 

vincit qui patitur