chapter 3.

♢

What Asteria seemed to forget about Hogwarts was that it was, in fact, school. That included classes, which she was awoken bright and early by a certain redhead to attend. For a moment, upon waking up, Asteria was convinced she was in the midst of an amazing dream - only when Lily pinched her did she realize that this was her new reality. Excited by the prospects of the day, the two girls snuck out of the dorm without waking up the remaining slumbering girls. There was no reason for them to be up so early, but Lily's nerves about her first day were contagious, and left Asteria jittery and unable to rest. Besides, being up at 7am meant they got their schedules a little earlier and could head to classes without running into any obnoxious boys.

"What class are you most excited for?" Lily asked, adjusting the strap of her bag. Asteria pondered the question for a second, although the answer came to her quickly.

"Potions. I've been fascinated with it ever since I was little, ever since I stole my sister's book three years ago. The book was an incredibly interesting read, so I hope the class lives up to my expectations."

The two maintained a lively conversation all throughout the morning, not stopping until they reached their Potions classroom. It was their first class of the day, one they shared - much to the girls' excitement - with the Slytherins. With an apologetic look, Lily headed over to Severus while Asteria stole a seat by Magnolia.

"Long time no see," Asteria joked, to which Magnolia answered with a slight smile.

"I didn't think we'd have a chance to see each other again," Magnolia stated, looking pointedly at Asteria's Gryffindor crest. "Must say, I'm surprised you got Gryffindor. Suppose it fits you, though."

"You really think?"

Magnolia nodded.

More silence between the two ensued, as they listened attentively to Slughorn's lecture. He went over the types of Potions they would learn to brew that year, as well as covered the ingredients and their necessities. In a gap during his lecture, Asteria turned to face Magnolia and quietly whispered,

"I didn't know you had a brother?"

"Yeah, he's my twin. See him? He's sitting over there, by Mulciber."

"Mulciber?" Asteria furrowed her eyebrows, looking a bit off-put by the name. "Aren't the Mulcibers incredibly, erm-"

"Yes," was all Magnolia said, and that was the end of the conversation. Until,

"You didn't say you had a brother in Slytherin," Magnolia started, before a sly smirk appeared on her face, "Not to mention, he's quite fit."

"Ew! That's my brother."

"I'm merely stating a fact. An observation, if you will. Ask Lily, she'll agree."

Asteria simply glared in response, before turning her attention back to Slughorn once he started explaining how to brew the Draught of Living Death.