chapter 21.

♢

The castle was just as Asteria remembered it. As the students packed themselves into the Great Hall, Asteria spun in a circle as she took in the castle that she had not been in for three months. A soft exhale of joy escaped her, one that Lily joined her in. The paintings still chattered over each other, and Peeves could be seen bolting about, dropping balloons filled with water on unsuspecting students' heads. Asteria masterfully ducked out of the way, not wanting a repeat of last year's wet robes. The ghosts filled the Great Hall, excited by the return of the students so finally they'd have people to talk to that weren't each other. As Asteria neared the Gryffindor table, one of the ghosts crashed through a window on his horse, running right through Asteria. A quick chill ran through her, but a smile remained on her face as she took in the flurry of ghosts. Nearly-Headless Nick popped his head through the Gryffindor table, starting up a conversation with Mary as the girls sat down.

Craning her head, Asteria turned to look at the Slytherin table for a sign of Magnolia. She saw the Slytherin girl sitting beside her brother, a look of pure desolation on her face as she nodded at whatever Avery was saying. Asteria's heart ached, wishing that she could do something to help the Slytherin - but what could a 12 year old say that would undo centuries of house rivalries? Sighing, Asteria turned back to the Gryffindor table and frowned. Lily noticed, and as if knowing what the matter was, placed a hand on Asteria's shoulder and squeezed. The two simply sat there for a moment, mourning the loss of their friend, before Asteria glimpsed Remus entering the hall. She waved him over, and much to Lily's dismay, the rest of the boys followed behind him. Remus took a seat between Lily and Asteria, giving the redhead a hug as they began to catch up over anything they'd missed that summer. Asteria offered James and Sirius a small smile as they sat across from her, while Peter sat beside Mary and engaged her in conversation now that Nearly-Headless Nick had moved on to another cluster of students.

"It's weird to be back here, not as first years," James said.

"I'm glad to be," Asteria said, "I missed it here." Sirius nodded, agreeing with her, but avoided looking into her eyes. He couldn't bear to deal with the look of worry and pity she was no doubt looking at him with.

But if he did make eye contact with her, he would see nothing but frustration, as Asteria wanted nothing more than to corner him and make him tell her about his bruises. But for now, she tuned into whatever Dumbledore was saying, cheering as the first years walked into the hall. They looked so small and afraid, and for a moment, Asteria wondered if that was what she looked like walking into the Great Hall for the first time. She remembered the anxiety encapsulating her entire body as she walked up to the Sorting Hat to be sorted; the fear she had felt when it had put her in Gryffindor, then the immense sense of belonging as the table had erupted into cheers. A part of her felt completely different from the girl she had been when she had first entered Hogwarts; as if, in the span of a year, she had gotten more comfortable being herself.