chapter 11.

♢

The last few days of Christmas break passed much the same as the first week. Asteria remained locked in her room; the gala was not the end of her so-called punishment, but merely a pause. Both Althea and Perseus had made their disdain of their daughter clear, and there was nothing she or her siblings could do to change their minds. That was how Asteria found herself spending Christmas Day alone - until her brother came barging into her room, holding a stack of letters and numerous packages.

"I believe these are for you," he stated, dumping the content he held in his arms on her bed. "Letters, packages - I believe they're presents. I badgered the house elves until they told me where Mother hid them. Your friends seem to have worried about your disappearance."

Asteria looked up, her face immediately brightening. "They sent me presents?"

Adonis nodded his head at the packages. "You're welcome."

The blonde girl sat in silence for a second, frowning, before looking up at her brother. "Speaking of presents. I've got one for you." Scrambling off her bed, Asteria bounded into her closet and soon retrieved a box that was very poorly wrapped. There was a green bow on top, which Adonis pulled with a little laugh.

"You didn't have to," he said, but as he opened the box his eyes widened. "How'd you get this?" In his arms was a signed Holyhead Harpies jersey, which the boy immediately shoved over his head. It was enchanted to be a perfect fit.

"Bargained with James for it," she responded nonchalantly, before jumping back onto her bed. Despite her imprisonment, Asteria had coerced Queenie to go out and buy her friends presents, which she'd sent out using Callie's owl (a secret, of course, because her mother would be furious if she ever found out). For Lily, she got a quill that never ran out of ink. For Marlene, a hair tie that would hold her hair in a ponytail no matter what. For Dorcas, a simple charm necklace (she didn't know the girl that well yet). For Mary, a paint palette of every color imaginable that would never run out. For Remus, she had bought an enchanted book that allowed him to read whatever book he desired at the moment. She'd even gotten a gift for Sirius and James, though it was more of a prank than a gift. Still, in her books, it counted.

"Asteria, this is amazing!" Adonis seemed beyond himself with joy, a smile wider than she'd ever seen present. "Thank you!"

"Had to get you something to thank you for arguing with Mother and Father on my behalf, no?" she stuck out her tongue, and though her tone was joking, she felt anything but. There was nothing more that Asteria desired other than to spend her Christmas with her family, but fate was much too cruel to fulfill the girl's simple wish. Yet again, Asteria found herself in solitude for another holiday, just like it always had been. Her brother's presence was a short relief, but she knew he wouldn't spend the entire day with her. Adonis had his own life, and Asteria understood that.

She was right.

"You don't have to thank me for that," Adonis said seriously, before he caught a glimpse of his watch. "Bloody hell, is that the time? I told Rosier I'd Floo over 10 minutes ago. Love you, Asteria, but I've gotta run. See you later, alright?"