chapter 13.

♢

Asteria didn't think it to be possible, but classes only got harder after everyone returned from their holiday break. Every professor was keen on overloading their students for homework, as if obtaining a certain kind of thrill with every essay they assigned. Asteria spent every moment that she wasn't either in class or in the Great Hall studying, determined to get the best grades she possibly could. It was for that reason the blonde girl rarely saw her friends, as she buried herself in her library and her dorm, overloading on loose parchment and textbooks. Lily joined her, sometimes even Remus, but more often than not Asteria found herself alone.

That is until one crisp morning, when Asteria found herself all bundled up sitting by a lake and working on her most recent essay. Someone cleared their throat behind her, and the blonde looked behind her to see who dared bother her. Her face broke out into a smile when she saw Magnolia standing sheepishly behind her. The two hadn't seen each other in a hot minute, especially after Asteria had pulled the prank on her brother.

"Is that who I think it is?" Asteria started dramatically, closing the book in her lap. "No, it can't be. Magnolia Avery?"

"Shut up," Magnolia lightly slapped Asteria's shoulder, before taking a seat on the grass beside her. "I heard about the prank you pulled on my brother. Bulstrode and I lost our minds when they came back drenched in snow."

Asteria laughed, shaking her head at the prank that was now a few weeks ago. She could still recall the faint look of confusion and then fright as he realized the snowballs wouldn't slow their attack. "You should've seen the look of utter embarrassment on Max's and Mulciber's faces when they walked in. Merlin, I'd pay a hundred galleons to have that framed," Magnolia said gleefully.

"It was my pleasure," Asteria said. "Where have you been these past few weeks? I feel like I haven't seen you in years."

Magnolia's face fell for a second, and she shrugged sorrowfully. "As much as I loved the prank, my brother didn't," she explained, "he threatened to snitch that I was friends with a bunch of 'half-bloods and blood-traitors.' So I've had to avoid you. I'm sorry."

Asteria frowned, before bringing her friend into a tight embrace. It was rare for the two of them to receive any type of hug, but Asteria could tell the Slytherin needed it. Her brother was quite the pain in the arse.

"Are you alright?" Asteria asked softly, not knowing what else to say. Magnolia nodded.

"Yeah, I managed to get away from him for the day. He's busy with Mulciber and Wilkes doing Merlin knows what. Convenient, though, 'cause today's Lily's birthday isn't it?"

Asteria shushed her immediately, looking around to make sure the redhead was nowhere to be seen. Her and Remus had had something planned for weeks, a little birthday party not unlike the one they had thrown for Asteria. However, she couldn't find the boy anywhere all day, but had figured he was back in the tower for the time being. "Yeah, Marls and I planned to throw a little party in our common room, so that Remus could join in as well. And now, you're coming! Do you have a present for her? You know how much Lily loves presents."