chapter 18.

♢

The summer seemed dreadfully boring without the typical mischief that Asteria had gotten accustomed to at Hogwarts. As she had expected, her parents both ignored her upon her arrival back to Grey Manor, locking her in her room until further notice. Fortunately, they had not dished out any additional punishments - Queenie was able to visit her and send her food, keeping her company as the days dwindled away. Asteria had created a makeshift calendar, making it awfully detailed and doodling various images in its margins; on it, she had written out everyday until September 1st - which was circled in a bright red color. Every day, she would cross off one number, praying for September to come faster. It seemed she would never be let out of her room, stuck inside for the remainder of the summer, until one fateful day.

A few weeks into her detainment, a heavy handed knock sounded on her door. Confused, Asteria opened it, only to be greeted with a smiling Adonis. He had two letters in his hand - but it couldn't possibly be their Hogwarts letters, it couldn't have been that long already... right? As if he had read her mind, Adonis shook his head and walked into her room, plopping onto Asteria's unkempt bed.

"Results are out," he explained, handing her one of the letters. Eyes wide, Asteria ripped it open, eager to see her hard work's payoff. And she was very much pleased.

Astronomy: E

Charms: O

Defense Against the Dark Arts: O

Herbology: E

History of Magic: E

Potions: O

Transfiguration: O

The girl could barely contain her excitement, grinning as she looked up at Adonis. He snatched the letter out of her hands, his eyes widening as he looked it over. "Blimey, Astie, these are much better than mine were in my first year," he said, looking at her in what she thought to be pride.

"I thought for sure I would've achieved an O in History of Magic," Asteria said, sticking her lip out in a pout. "I spent hours reviewing the goblin wars with Li- erm, my friend."

Adonis cast her a look, questioning why she had cut off Lily's name. He knew who Asteria was friends with, being a dutiful older brother. And then he realized. "You don't have to worry about Mother or Father overhearing, they're going to be gone for a bit," he explained, ruffling the blonde's hair. "Won't be back till the end of summer, I reckon."

Asteria raised an eyebrow. "Where'd they go?"

Adonis faltered, turning his gaze elsewhere. "To visit relatives, or something, I'm not sure."