Chapter 5

"Now, tell us... Who the fuck are you?!" the girl asked angrily, sitting in the middle of the backseat of the car.

"All right, listen. I have worked for the Feds. I've worked for loads of people. I'm what you might call an independent contractor. You got a problem, you call me, I solve the problem." Billy was interrupted by pounding coming from the trunk.

The three exchanged looks, Hughie turned to look at the backseat and (Y/n) went to the edge of the seat, not wanting to be near the noise.

"What is that?" the kid asked, still as afraid as before.

"Well, that's a problem." Butcher simply said, turning to look at the street again.

"Oh, thank fuck, he's alive!" Hughie screamed, placing his hands on the roof of the car.

"Is it better that he's alive or-" she got interrupted.

"Yes, yes, he's alive! Okay, pull over." he turned happily to Billy.

"No, no, no, Hughie. You don't fucking get it." the man tried to talk to him.

"Pull the car over." Hughie turned to Butcher, angry at the man for not letting him just bail out.

"Answering your question, sweetheart. This is a fucksight worse!" he turned to Hughie "He's seen our faces. Well, maybe not hers, but the shop probably has cameras." he looked at her with the corner of his eye, smiling sideways.

"Oh, my God. No, no, no, no. I can't do this. I can't do this. Let me out." he turned to Billy " Let me out. Pull over!" he screamed demanding to be left alone.

The girl slapped his neck hard, making him turn to her shocked and holding his now red nape with one hand.

"Shut the fuck up!" she seemed so intimidating to him at that moment "We're fucked, don't you understand it? If you leave now you won't get payback for Robin. And, you'll probably be arrested." she shrugged, lifting one of her brows.

"What?" he started thinking it over.

"If they have a way to track Translucent down, they'll do it. Then, they'll get the footage and link his disappearance to you." she finished explaining it, thinking about it herself "Fuck, I'm not going to be a doctor. All that hard work for nothing." she let her body fall onto the backseat, sitting straight again right away, remembering that a supe was in the trunk, that connected directly to the seat "So, where are we going?" she put her arms on top of the front seats, laying her head on them.

"I know a bloke. Top man. He'll know what to do." he looked at the girl in the back seat.

The road seemed so long, hours passed by inside that awful smelly car. Hughie got some sleep at some point, but (Y/n) could only close her eyes, she had grown accustomed to being awake during the night and university took a toll on her during that period. She had already slept for the day, even though she had to work for the afternoon.

They stopped at a gas station on the way, it was still dark outside, not many people on the streets. Butcher turned to the kid, ready to ask if he wanted something, but he was still asleep. Then, he turned to the girl, smiling a little bit, with his elbow perched up on the seat.

"Want something from the store, love?" he asked softly.

"Cotton balls, alcohol-" Billy looked funny at her "Not that kind. And a bar of chocolate." she finished, getting her face closer to his and smiling to herself.

"All right. Be right back." he got out of the car and entered the store to buy gas and the things the girl asked for.

She turned to Hughie, finding it cute that he was drooling a little bit out of the corner of his mouth. She got closer to his face, leaning on the seat to look at him better. Her hand brushed strands of hair out of his face, looking at the cut he had earned earlier, the blood now dry and sticking to his skin like ink.

"Hughie, honey, wake up." she said softly, brushing his hair with her hand, looking dreamily at him.

"I didn't kill him!" he screamed after waking up, moving away from her.

"It's alright, baby." she whispered, putting her hand on his spine, running it up and down "I just wanted to clean that cut." she pointed to his forehead.

He instantly placed his hand on the injury, letting out a groan and coming back with a bloody finger. She got out of the car, went up to Hughie's door and opened it, he stepped out confused of where they were. She told him briefly and waited for Butcher to come out leaning on top of the hood of the car. Hughie didn't say much, he was too deep into his thoughts and she wasn't exactly wanting to talk right now, so conversation was left to later. The kid only came back to his senses when the (h/c) haired girl started dabbing the alcohol on his skin, it stung like hell itself.

"Ow! Careful." he sayid getting away from the gentle touch of the girl.

"Oh, shut up. You were the one dreaming about getting your job back." she smiled, continuing to clean the cut carefully. She could hear Billy chuckle inside the car "You're next." she said loud enough so he could hear, she looked at him deviously.

He dismissed that as sassiness, but he was so wrong. She finished with Hughie, giving him a quick peck on the cheek and a soft slap on the butt, which the kid became flustered about. She entered the car first, almost running to sit in the front with Butcher. He looked at her strangely, wondering what was going on, but her silly smile told him everything.

"Nope, I'm fine." he started the engine, trying to continue the journey, but she turned his face to her, grabbing him by the beard almost.

"Oh no, you're not gonna get away from me." she grabbed a cotton ball with her other hand and dipped it, with a little difficulty, in the alcohol.

She cleaned the cut on his cheek and on his nose. She couldn't help but look at every detail on his face. The scar on his forehead, his green eyes, his black as coal hair, his rough beard. Everything about him seemed to be just in the right place, perfect, just for her. She stopped for a second, noticing his stare back at her. The man was eating her with his eyes, she could see lust pouring out of the green ocean that were his eyes.

The man himself couldn't stop his eyes from wandering. She was young, beautiful and clearly wanted him. The last time that happened was with Becca, when they were happy and completely and undoubtedly in love. He could, somehow, see that there was something more inside her eyes, maybe a sense of adventure or danger, it sure wasn't love. However, his body was still acting on its own, getting closer to her by the second. They were almost touching noses, when Hughie coughed from right behind them. He was in the middle of the back seat, looking directly at them.

"Are we gonna go?" he said, smiling devilishly at them, knowing exactly what he was doing.

The two in the front looked at each other, letting out a sigh and parting ways, Butcher started driving and (Y/n) looked outside the window flustered with her arms crossed.

"Fucking cockblocker." she whispered.

"Hey!"