Epilogue

What's up, guys! Finally, I finished the epilogue! Hahahaha. I'm actually writing this while I have a fever (that means now.) Without further ado, I now present you... the epilogue!

-
To say that Cassandra was nervous would be an understatement.

Her light blue dress flows from top to bottom and has a halter neckline, which elegantly reveals the luxurious dress worn below it. The soft, corset of her dress covers her stomach where the continuous flow is broken up by a thin ribbon worn quite low around her waist.

Her hair was braided and bisects a curled bun that’s rolled upwards and secured with pins at the overseam, concealing the ends with an ornate barrette.

"Let's go, the ball is starting."

"Let's get this over with." She stood up, gathering courage inside my chest.

"Get over with what?" A familiar voice stated.

Cassandra fliched at the sight of Varian that was just behind Rapunzel. A nervous sweat ran down her forehead. Why is he here? Shouldn't he be with the King to greet the guest? Isn't this a bit disrespectful?

Nevertheless, Cassandra felt relieved at the sight of him.

"You two be good, I'll be going now." Rapunzel winked at Cassandra, unaware of the anxiety her friend was feeling.

Now that the door was wide open, Cassandra can fully see the Princes' form. He was wearing a long sleeved black jacket with a white polo inside. His black pants was simple but it was obvious enough to see that the fabric that was used for the material cannot be afford by a simple commoner such as herself.

A crown was placed on his head, the blue jewel being its decoration. He's also wearing a white glove on both of his hand.

He was truly handsome.

Varian gave her a smile and offered his hand. "Will the kind lady give this knight a chance to escort her?"

Even with all the nervousness she's feeling, Cassandra can't help but let out a short laugh. "You do realize that you're not a knight, do you?" She gladly took his hand.

"And you're not kind either," he joked.

Cassandra rolled her eyes as she walked with him side by side, their finger intertwined. Her heart skipped a beat, a feeling of comfort spreading inside her chest.

When they were about to take a turn to head to the ballroom's door, Varian suddenly pulled her to the other side with great force.

"Varian, this isn't the way to the-" he cuts her off.

"I know. I want to show you something." Cassandra didn't replied after that, instead, she felt a sense of confusion and her anxiety came back.

Did he know?

A few minutes later, she found herself at the Castle's flower garden. The moonlight glancing off dew-bright leaves, bursts of color from other flowers. She could hear the breeze rustling the leaves.

Varian sat on the nearby bench and patted the space next to him, signaling her to sit down. She rolled her eyes and sat down.

"Why did you brought me here?"

Varian bit his bottom lip and looked away, making Cassandra tilt her head and stared at him in confusion. What's gotten this guy nervous?

"You okay?" she asked.

"I-uh, I'm fine!" He sighed and reached out of his pocket, taking out a beautiful designed box, slowly handing it to the woman beside him. "This is for you."

Cassandra took the small red box from his hand and stared at it. She raised a brow and slowly opened the box. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of the familiar violet stone, now carved into a shape of a heart, with  a string of beads connected to it. A necklace.

"Isn't this the-" he cuts her off.

"The Cassandrium?" He smiled. "Yes, it is."

Her eyes widened and handed him back the box, causing a huge frown to appear in Varian's lips. "Did you not like it?"

"No. It's beautiful, but I can't accept it. You created a new element, Varian. It's inappropriate for me to take it," she reasoned out.

Varian stared at her, before letting a soft chuckle escape his lips. Cassandra's cheeks turned red at the sight of the one she loves having a huge grin on his face.

She would be lying if she said that the moonlight reflecting on his face didn't made him more handsome.

Her cheeks turned a more dark shade of red when she felt his hand brushed against hers when he took the box, their fingers intentionally touching longer than necessary. Varian's lips showed a sly smirk when he saw the look on her face.

Is he flirting with her?

Just where did he even got that confidence?

Questions ran through her mind, giving him a glare but her lips where shaking, trying to stop a smile from forming.

With a grin on his face, Varian took the necklace from the box and unclasped the lock. He turned to her and without a word, slowly wrapped the necklace's string on her neck, locking it on behind.

Cassandra opened her mouth to say something, but ended up closing it. Her mind unable to think clear with how his face is close to her.

Varian didn't pulled away even though the necklace was already locked. Their eyes met, pulling each other closer like a magnet.

Cassandra felt warmth blooming inside her chest, her lips parting as she let out a heavy breath, feeling the intensity of his gaze. Her eyes landed on his lips. She wondered how would it feel to have his lips against her.

The question didn't remain unanswered as she felt his hands at the back of her head, his head tilting slightly, pulling her closer to him, his fingers tangled in her hair, and the soft feeling of his lips crashing down to hers.

Her eyes widened, her mind unable to process what's happening. Her hands were place in his chest, gripping the fabric of his clothes as her eyes slowly shut, letting herself be gone at the touch of his lips against hers.

The kiss was slow but passionate, their lips moving in a slow rhythm, making Cassandra's heart flutter. The nagging feeling in the back of her head saying that this is wrong disappeared in a puff of smoke. Varian's hand wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

She pulled away, her mouth slightly open as she catch her breath. Varian stared at her with a look in his eyes that Cassandra couldn't determine what.

She turned her head to the side, her cheeks flushed red. She let go of the fabric she clutched on his chest, and tried to stand up but was pulled down by Varian's hold on her waist.

"Varian, what are you-" She frozed when she felt his head rested on her shoulder.

"Stay," he whispered, his breath tickling her neck.

"I-I," she gulped. "I can't."

"Why not?" he asked. "You're my fiancee, aren't you? This should be normal for the both of us."

But she is not his fiancee and she knew that.

"I-I know that but-" she mentally cursed herself for stuttering. "But it can't continue this way."

Varian let out a sigh, slowly unwrapping his hands around her waist and sat up straight, a sad smile on his face.

"I understand," he whispered.

"Thank you." She stood up and turned her head, and started to walk away.

Varian stared at her retreating figure, a sad glimmer in his eyes.

If Varian knew what would happen after that event, he would have never let Cassandra's hand go.

- END OF BOOK 1 -

Check the author's note on the next chapter for more details about the next book.