17

"Checkmate."

The crowned Prince groaned and threw his head back. He was yet again defeated by a fifteen year old girl in the game of Kings or also known as Chess.

Leilanie gave Varian her usual steely gaze but a small smile crept it's way on her lips. "I've playing this game since I was seven," she ventured.

Varian frowned and then pouted, his cheeks turning a shade of red in embarrassment. He's an alchemist and his mind is filled with unknown calculations — everything that only a few people can comprehend. But here he is, defeated by a fifteen year old Princess.

"What's with that face?"

Varian turned her head to see Cassandra entering the room and Marion following her, holding a tray of cookies.

"Nothing," he said.

"I beat him again in Chess," said Leilanie at the same time.

Cassandra gave them a look of disbelief before she bursted out laughing. She can't believe that he was defeated by the kid again — they've been doing it since this morning.

"So much for challenging her again, Var," she teased, her mouth stretching into a smile.

Varian winced. "Stop it."

Marion placed the tray of cookies on a nearby table and snorted. "No one can defeat my twin when it comes to the Game of Kings. She got Athena's bra-" she got cut off.

"Shut it, Marion," said Leilanie crisply, her head snapping to her twin with an intense gaze.

Marion's cheeks turned a shade of red. "Oh, right. Sorry." She turned to the two who gave them both suspicious gaze. "Anyway, here's some cookies I baked!" She said in a sing song voice.

Keeping Jamie's advice on her mind, Cassandra examined the twins. They have such opposite personalities. For starters, Leilanie prefers staying quiet and it seemed like she have no time for nonesense things — she's too mature for her age. Whilst Marion is more of a people pleaser, always have a bright smile on her face — completely opposite to her twin. They're like the two sides of the chestboard, one is white while one is black. But the question is, who can she trust?

Varian took a cookie and ate, still wondering why Leilanie snapped like that. She's usually calm and composed even though her grey eyes shows like she knew a lot of things.

"Varian, can I go to your lab again?" Leilanie spoke up.

Cassandra's eyes widened as she took a seat next to Varian's. "You showed her your lab?" She asked.

"What lab?" asked Marion, her curios eyes staring at the three of them.

Varian frowned. It was supposed to be a secret but here she is, saying it like it wasn't hidden. "I didn't," he answered Cassandra. "She found it by herself while she was roaming around the castle yesterday." He then turned to Leilanie. "Fine. But you know the rules."

Leilanie remained silent but she nodded her head in understanding. She walked out of the room primly. The room remained silent when she left. Cassandra shifted on her seat, trying to make herself comfortable with the akward silence around them. Where's Rapunzel when she needs her? She's usually the one who is great in this kinds of things.

Marion cleared her throat to break the silent that was covering the room like mist. She occupied the seat where her twin once sat. "So, I have a feeling that you wanted to ask some questions." She smiled brightly.

Both Cassandra and Varian were intrigued by the two the moment they arrived and sure they have questions — like a lot.

"How's Jamie for a sister?"