Chapter 7

Feeling too much has always been both a gift and a curse for me

Feeling too much has always been both a gift and a curse for me. I always felt too fucking much. Anger, happiness, heartbreak...it was everything or nothing to me.

It was both my best and my worst quality, but more often than not I saw it more as a flaw than an edge.

Still, though, that was who I was. A person who was once again letting her goddamn feelings get the best of her because when it came to him, I never had that control anymore. 

I was pissed at him, sure. But I also knew he was going through something, something he wanted to keep me away from, and that made me anxious, worried, because I still cared. I cared so much.

It would have been easier if I was just pissed at him, it would have been a whole lot easier if I could just hate him. But I couldn't and I don't think I ever could.

I needed him. More than I had ever realized. It was unexplainable. I don't know how it happened, how moments with him became incomparable to moments with anyone else.

When I didn't see him, I convinced myself that it was just in my head. That it couldn't possibly feel like this, it couldn't possibly be so hard. But then I saw him again, and I knew that I had imagined nothing.

I didn't just miss him, I felt downright homesick.

Like I said, I felt too much.

And after you've been through what I have, after you've been questioned and criticized as much as I have for feeling the extents I feel, being the way I am, feelings just start to feel like a flaw.

It was a scary feeling, knowing that something that I thought would be the most stable part of my life wasn't.
But lately, everything in my life had been unstable...unsteady, convincing me that even a single careless choice could throw me over an undeniably present edge.

Like I had no control. And it was driving me insane.

"Hey." A voice snapped me out of the sad lane my mind was driving at and I turned to look at the owner of it.

Tousled brown hair and a pair of curious blue eyes on a handsome face stared back at me. Josh had been my refuge for the past two days. He wasn't just helping me study and catch up with school work, he was giving me an escape. A sense of normalcy.

And I was so thankful for it, for him.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" He peeked at my laptop screen, where I had been working on my college application, and looked back at me. "Are you planning on applying to Boston?"

"What? No!" I shook my head furiously. "I was just...nevermind. That place is really hard to get in."

"You'll get in, " he said with absolute conviction. The unwavering belief he had in me made me feel warm.

"You don't know that, " I mumbled, my tendency to be cautious and suspicious of anything good cropping up.

He leaned in, and whispered like he was letting me in on a secret, "You're smart, intelligent, dedicated, and hardworking. Why wouldn't you get in?"