Chapter 21

"But that's

"But that's...really far away." And as if a switch had gone off in Neil's mind, his smile vanished. "You'll leave town for college. Move away from all of us."

The thought made my heart ache and I brushed it away. "I haven't decided that I'm going."

"But you want to go." He looked at me, his voice was so certain like he knew me better than myself. Maybe he did.

"I don't...I don't know."

He swallowed hard, nodding to himself. "You have time. Is this why you've been distant with Tyler?"

I groaned, throwing my pen against a wall in frustration. "So much has happened. At first, I wanted some space because I wanted to feel better mentally and emotionally. I wanted to have a fresh start with a clear head."

"And now?"

"We won't go to the same college. We have different aims and we are going to go in different directions to pursue our careers. I can't..." I shook my head, taking a deep breath. "I don't know if we will survive long distance...and if we don't, I can't imagine how I'll deal with it."

"You're scared," he mumbled softly and I gave him a reluctant nod.

He patted the spot next to him on the bed and I scooted closer to him as he wrapped me in his arms. "I understand. Maybe...talk to him about it?"

"I know I should...I will."

"Soon?"

"Soon."

"You know, you've really gotten better at communicating. Sharing your feelings." He pulled away from me with a smile.

"It still makes me uncomfortable as hell, but I'm trying. Victor has been a great help."

He nodded. "Good."

"You know, maybe you could talk to him sometime?"

He shook his head, his expression going sour. "I'm glad it's working out for you but my problem is physical. I'm stuck in a wheelchair, V. "

"And you will get out of it soon."

"You don't know that," he muttered and my heart sank at his words.

"Your recovery is going to be a hard and long process. But it's only possible if you believe in it. It'll help if you talk to someone and try to get past whatever it is that's holding you back from moving forward."

"You think it's that simple?" he snapped, making me wince.

"I don't think any of this is simple. I think it's so damn complicated that maybe you need help," I murmured softly.

Whatever he was about to say was cut off when Avi and Ashley entered the room talking loudly and carrying a lot of bags with them. They stopped short when they saw our expressions.