Chapter 12

Over the next couple of days, I tried to focus on school

Over the next couple of days, I tried to focus on school. I tried to catch up on my studies, work on my college applications, and tried to live in the present. I tried. 

But I knew that everything wouldn't go back to normal just because I tried to act normal. I'd have to deal with my problems and my feelings first. It was a persistent whisper in the back of my mind, demanding my undivided attention. 

Although, I was adamant to ignore it for as long as I could. Forever, if I had my way because I was a coward like that. 

It was hard to go to school without Neil. 

It was hard to go to school with Tyler. 

And the people at school made things even harder. Somehow everyone seemed to know about everything; Neil, his accident, the rift between me and Sam. They even knew about my breakup with Tyler, but thankfully nobody knew the reason behind it. Yet. 

My relationship with Tyler was something people talked about when we first got together. It was shocking and unlikely to everyone. But we were all in from day one. Hurried kisses in the hallway, holding hands under the table in the cafeteria, bear hugs from behind, they had all become commonplace for us. 

Eventually, everyone got used to it, just like me. 

But now, my break-up with Tyler was the center of many conversations, because, again, it was just as shocking and unlikely.

Whispers and eyes followed me everywhere I went. Stolen glances, suffocating awkwardness, short and difficult conversations were the new normal for me and Tyler. 

"Smile, " Ash murmured, as we walked down the school hallway. "Don't give them anything to talk about and it'll settle down in some time."  

Right.

Just keep smiling. Keep it fixed, but not so fixed that it looked psychotic. 

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my right shoulder and I turned but there was no one there. When I turned the other way around, I found Avi and a smiling Julian who looked pretty satisfied with himself. "The oldest trick in the book, but it works every time.''

I chuckled, before tackling him in a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"It's my first day at AVM high," he announced, beaming at me. "Can I get a tour?"

Ash squealed from beside me. "That's amazing!"

I grinned at him and nodded. This day was off to a great start. "Of course!"

"So, can we tell everyone that you're Tyler's little brother, or is it still a secret?" Avi asked as we walked towards my locker. 

"The only reason that it was a secret was because of Max. Now that he knows the truth and Julian isn't going to Edgewood high anymore, I think it should be okay to tell everyone the truth,'' I said, before looking at Julian for confirmation and he nodded with a smile. A smile that seemed to have taken a permanent residence on his face.