Chapter 22

"Here you go

"Here you go." Ryan placed two cocktails in front of me and Ashley. He had been managing the cocktail corner with Neil's help, and he was fan-fucking-tastic at it. 

I took a sip of it and groaned, this was my second glass, but it still tasted like heaven. "Ryan...you're magic."

"He is." Ash looked up at him with a smile so full of warmth and wonder it made me smile. 

"At this rate, I think I will be hammered by the next hour." I forced myself to slow down and took another small sip. 

"Good, you have to drink on my behalf too." Neil grinned. "Avi certainly is."

I glanced back at where Avi was standing with Julian and Jace, slightly swaying on his feet and bobbing his head to the music. "He is drunk."

"He is letting go and having fun, and so should you. It's your birthday party, stop counting your drinks!" Ash said, downing her glass and I gasped. 

"Girl, slow down!"

"Nope." She shook her head and Neil chuckled. She suddenly grabbed my hand. "C'mon this is my favorite song!"

I shot Neil a pleading look and he shrugged. "Won't help you out of this one."

The center of the room was the dance floor tonight, and it was occupied by Courtney and her friends who let out a loud cheer when we joined them. 

All of the people I knew and could tolerate were here except for one person. And my eyes swept around the entire room again, probably for the tenth time tonight, in search of him. 

"He is running a little because he is with his mother for a doctor's appointment. Don't worry he'll be here soon." Courtney gave me a small smile and I frowned.  

Was I so obvious? Did I look like some lost pet waiting for its owner?

"I wasn't looking for him," I said but even I wouldn't believe myself.  Courtney chuckled and shook her head at me.

Soon Jace, Ryan, Avi, Josh, and Julian joined the dance floor too. My eyes immediately slid to Neil who was sitting in a corner, looking at us with a small smile.

I grabbed another glass of Ryan's amazing cocktail and plopped down next to him. When he shot me a questioning look I shrugged. "I'm getting old. My joints hurt, I can't dance much, especially not in these heels Ash has forced me into."

Neil rolled his eyes. "I hope your joints are not hurting because you pity me sitting here in a wheelchair, alone by myself."

"Nobody pities you." I sighed. 

Lately, it felt like I was constantly walking on eggshells around him, one wrong move and he'd crack.

Thankfully, Ashley dropped down beside me in the next moment, giggling at something in her drunken haze, distracting both Neil and me from any potential argument.