Chapter 16

"I think Jace will be the best fit." Neil nodded, sipping on what looked like some fruit juice. 

"Yeah, I thought so too," I mumbled. "Everyone misses you."

We were replacing Neil as the co-captain of the team and it seemed right that he should be the first one to know who'd be filling in his spot. So here I was at the hospital, breaking the news to him and he seemed to be taking it quite well. 

"Of course they do." He rolled his eyes. "Have you seen Veronica today?"

"No." I frowned. "Why?"

"She spoke to her parents...about last year. I was wondering how she is doing, Avi told me that she skipped school, today."

"She did?" That must've been so hard. Why am I always the last person to know about her life these days? "If she is skipping school, then she might be home..."

"Who knows, she might be with Josh." He shrugged.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why the hell is she skipping school with Josh?"

"They've grown pretty close to each other, you know. And you already know that they had a thing for each other in the past—"

"Wait–" I tried to interrupt him, but he went on.

"I honestly don't know what she sees in him, but nerds attract nerds I guess...as long as she is happy, I'm happy." He sipped his drink like he hadn't just completely screwed my mind over in a matter of seconds.

Neil was a meddler and judging from the little glint in his eyes and that self-satisfied look on his face, that was what he was doing right now. Meddling.

"I know what you're doing," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

I scoffed. "So, I take it that you know about what happened between Veronica and me."

"You broke her heart and now Josh is going to try and mend it." He shrugged again, with that smug look on his face that annoyed the hell out of me.

"Drop the act. I know you want to probably kick my ass, right now."

"I was rooting for you." His face lost its playfulness and he gave me a stern look, it was like watching water burn up a scalding surface.

I sighed and plopped down on a chair beside his bed. "I know, I screwed up. But I honestly thought that I was doing the right thing."

"I get it."

"You do?" I asked, surprised.

"You were desperate, and you thought you were keeping her safe."

"Yes. She knows that now but she still keeps her distance from me."

"It's not because she hates you." He sighed and rolled his eyes like it was obvious. "She's always been very guarded but since what happend last year it's worse. She is always careful and overthinking, it's her way of protecting herself from being vulnerable or getting hurt. And you hurt her."