Chapter 19

It's been three days since Max was released from custody

It's been three days since Max was released from custody. Three days since his sudden disappearance.

Andrew Stone's reputation and social standing took a major hit when his son's drug scandal became public knowledge, so even he couldn't save his son from the aftermath.  

Max was suspended from his school and was kicked out of the football team for the upcoming championship. It finally felt good to see him lose something important to him and a major part of me was happy and satisfied. 

But a small part of me wondered if we had finally managed to push him over the edge. 

His personal life had already been a tragedy, and his mental state was in shambles, I couldn't help but wonder if the recent events would make it worse for him...and also for us. 

My thoughts came to a halt when Victor's house came into view and dad stopped the car. 

He sighed and looked at me with a smile. "I hope this is really helping you, if you want to get other help, maybe from a professional—"

"Pa, no! I don't need anything else, this is helping," I assured him. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay, I love you."

"Love you too." I got out of the car and made my way toward the house where I'd be spending my next few hours. 

I didn't want to go anywhere else. I had an easy and comfortable relationship with Victor, he had a way...a way to understand what exactly I needed and I didn't think I'd find that anywhere else.

Dad had told me once that Victor had a rough past, he'd seen and experienced things that most of us weren't strong enough to face. He had a very different outlook on life, and maybe that was why it was always so easy to talk to him. He always understood, both the said and the unsaid.

I had told him everything a few days ago, from what had happened last year with Max to Neil's accident and the cause of it.  Talking about my feelings was hard, but he was patient with me when I struggled to get the right words out.

Somehow it felt like he instinctively knew that fussing over me would make me uncomfortable so he just sat back and listened, occasionally rubbing my shoulder to show his support.

I knocked on his door a few times and started walking toward the back of the house where we usually had our sessions, only to find him there waiting for me.

You could set your clock by that man. 

So goddamn punctual, it was annoying. 

He was a giant of a man, all muscle and built like a tank, with salt and pepper hair and a thick beard. He was a bit of a loner and my dad was probably his only close friend. There was an imposing presence about him that could intimidate anyone who didn't know him well enough.

Last year he had been there for me when I was at my lowest. I had never told him what had happened back then, but he had silently supported me by being there for me, training me, and making me stronger. No questions asked, just unconditional support.