Chapter 13

The moment I saw Veronica walk through the cafeteria doors, calm and quiet, I knew she had no clue about Max's arrest, yet

If she knew she'd be in front of me, asking for answers. Because that's how she was, always looking beneath the surface and there was a lot beneath the surface of Max's arrest.

I watched her stare at the phone Ashley just handed her.

Her shoulders tensed, and even with her back turned to me, I knew she was swearing up a storm right now.

3...

She looked up from the phone.

2...

She stood up from her chair.

1...

Her eyes locked onto mine.

Spitfire!

She marched towards where I was sitting, her eyes never leaving mine. A torrent of emotions swirled through those dark pools. It was stark and turbulent, edgy and guarded. So, so many barriers.

"Can we talk?" She looked around the table at my friends and added, "In private."

"Of course," I mumbled, before following her. She led me out of the cafeteria, and into an empty classroom nearby.

"I have a–"

" –few questions." I finished for her and she nodded.

"You are behind Max's arrest, aren't you?" she asked, but she already knew the answer to that.

"Yes."

"He was arrested for drug dealing." She frowned, looking at the phone in her hand. "There are pictures, videos, and even a few confessions from the people he has sold the drugs to. All solid proof, how did you manage to get them?"

"Being in the right place at the right time."

"And...?" She prompted. "How were you at the right place at the right time? I doubt it was all a coincidence."

She got me there. This was the part I was a little reluctant to tell her.

"Heather helped, " I admitted.

"Heather? His girlfriend?" She looked shocked and I nodded. "How did you manage to do that?"

"I didn't. Courtney did, they're friends. I don't know how she did it, but she gave me enough information to gather some damning evidence."

"So, Courtney knew about all of this too?" She tried to sound unaffected but failed, I could see it in her eyes, hear it in the little waver of her voice. She was hurt. That was what I was afraid of.

"I didn't have a choice, she was the only one who had any chance of getting through Heather. She was my only chance."

"I just spoke to you a few days ago. Why didn't you tell me?"