Stupid Riddles part 1

*Tissue Warning*

Post 3x12, 3x15, or whenever it was that Ed shot Oswald.

Trigger Warning: Self hatred, trauma, depression.

*Smut warning*

Oswald POV

I sit at the table in the small penthouse apartment I share with Ivy. She's down in the basement of the Iceberg lounge, working on something in her botany lab.

I sigh and look through today's mail, which I had just left on the table. My eyes widen at the sight of a letter from the last person I want a letter from right now.

Nygma.

Edward. Fucking. Nygma.

The Riddler himself.

With shaking hands, I tear open the letter, reading it as quick as I can.

Dear Oswald,

I know what Ed did was horrible, to say the least. He was so broken up over it, I had to take over so he could sit in a corner of our mind and cry his eyes out without anyone knowing. I so wish I could have stopped him from doing what he did. I should have torn him away from Isabelle when I had the chance. Because without her...

There could have been an us.

I know you don't believe me. I don't blame you for that. You ran from the fear and pain. Just like me and Edward did. I'm giving you a chance to start over with me. We can have a fresh start. Just try to trust me, okay?

Go where we ended that dark, gloomy day, and I will see to it that your days are no longer gray.

Yours,

The Riddler

Fuck. He's talking about...the pier. No, no, no. I can't. I can't go back there. I'm having a fucking panic attack reading a damn letter from him! I can't meet him face-to-face on the pier! I'd die of a panic attack on the spot.

But after hours of pacing and mentally cursing myself and Nygma, I can't fight it anymore. I have to go.

I grab my jacket and my butterfly knife, tucking it securely into place on my leg brace before limping down the stairs and out the front door.

I drive down the all-too familiar streets to the place of my worst nightmares. The Pier.

I sit in my car for several minutes, staring at the old, foreboding dock. I feel like I'm having a panic attack already. That's when I see him. A tall, skinny man in a green three piece suit, wearing the black bowler hat.

I force myself out of the car, shaking slightly as I walk towards him. My hand shakes uncontrollably. Damn tremor...

Before I know it, I'm standing on the pier, watching him as he looks down at the water. He looks sad and regretful.

Fuck...

"I know you're there, Oswald." He says quietly, his voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Why did you want me here? To finish what you started?" I say shakily, cursing myself for sounding so weak.

"Oswald, I--" he turns around, starting to speak but I cut him off.

"I honestly just want it to be over. The nightmares and panic attacks and depression and anxiety and all of that shit is because of YOU!!! So please, if you want to finish what you started, then get it over with already!" I yell, breaking down. This is too much. This man, this place, this feeling. It's like what's left of my heart is being ripped out of my chest.