~24~

Goodbyes & preparations

With heavy hearts, the brothers say goodbye, standing side by side as they look at the sea.

"This is all the time we have." Seokjin says, watching the sun sink in the horizon. "Are you sure about your decision?"

"I'm sure hyung." Namjoon says, not a drop of hesitation in his voice.

"Very well." Seokjin says with a small sigh, knowing his brother's heart ever since they arrived to land. "But just remember that next time it's not going to be a friendly visit. More than likely he is going to send them."

Them. Namjoon thinks to himself. "I'm aware." He says. "Don't worry hyung, I will do everything I can to take care of everything."

"Please be careful." Seokjin says pulling his brother into a hug.

"You as well hyung." Namjoon says looking at the ocean over his brother's shoulder. "You know where to find me if you need anything."

"Thank you Joon-ah." Seokjin says patting his shoulder. "I guess it's time to go."

"Do we really have to go back?" Taehyung asks.

"You know the answer to that Taehyung." Seokjin says looking down. "We have to report back."

"You can always come visit if you like." EunAe offers. "Our home will always be open."

"Thanks EunAe." Taehyung says giving her hug. "Please take care of hyung for us."

"I will." She says breaking the hug, joining Namjoon's side as the brothers exchange a glance before slowly turning away to head back to sea.

Before they jump in, Taehyung looks back one more time, his sad gaze taking in the scenery behind him for the last time.

He doesn't want to go back, for he too had made some friends on land during his stay, but he knows he has to. He just wishes there was a way for them to stay.

As the last rays on sunshine sink into the sea, the two silhouettes disappear along with it, their absence making the night darker.

"Are you okay?" EunAe asks, her tone gentle as she takes his hand.

"I'm alright." Namjoon says, offering a small smile as he lets out a breath through his nose.

"It's okay if you want to go back." She reassures, her hand resting on the side of his face, which he takes, gently pressing a kiss on her knuckles.

"I don't want to leave you again EunAe." He says, cupping her face with his hands. "I can't."

"Every time I leave, there's no guarantee that I'm coming back." He says, his voice fading at the end.

"I know." She says, nodding as he presses his forehead together with hers. "I know."

She knows this all too well. For years they've somehow made it work. One could even say that it is a miracle of sorts that they were able to meet again after such a long time, but on the back of their minds, there is always a constant reminder telling them that any moment could be their last one together.

"Let's continue with our plans." He says after a while, taking her hand, the girl's eyes snapping up at the comment.

"Are you sure?" She asks.