~31~

The Duel

A fuming figure awaits him as he returns, his father's stern form not wasting a second before closing the distance between them, his voice full of authority as he speaks.

"Where were you?" He demands.

"You already know the answer to that." Namjoon calmly responds.

Not able to contain his anger any longer, the chief slaps him, the boy clenching his jaw but keeping his head tall.

"You marked her?" He angrily asks, fists shaking as he looks at the boy.

"I knew you would go after her."

"How could you?"

Fire burns behinds his eyes as he repeats the question, the boy calm despite his accusatory tone.

"Tell me, how could you son?"

"Do you know what the mark means to our people?"

Namjoon is very well aware of the meaning and significance of the mark, which is why he decided to share it with the girl before leaving. Not only does it serve as a way to tell others that they are one, it also serves as a sort of protection and warning against those who might seek to harm her.

"She makes you weak. You have rejected your home."

As much as he hates to admit it, his father's words sting, but what he says next ignites a fire within him.

"I need you to take your place son." His father adds in a calmer tone.

"No." Namjoon firmly says.

"You're willing to let a whole race die for a girl?" His father questions, fuming once more as he looks at the boy.

"You know well that's not the case."

"Then?"

"How many times do I have to explain?" Namjoon says, trying his best to remain calm despite but his instincts are telling him.

"We have no future at sea. If we stay here, our people will die for sure. We need to find another solution."

"And have you? Or have you been too busy fooling around with that girl to think about your people, who have been with you from birth?"

Frustrated, Namjoon lets out an exasperated sigh. This conversation is not going anywhere. It never does. They always circle round and round around the same topic.

His father asks for an alternative, but refuses to listen when given one, because he does not agree with the land dwellers.

Namjoon understands. Land dwellers have been a threat to his people for centuries, so much that their numbers are close to being nonexistent.

"You have an alternative. Whether you want to see it or not, that's on you. We always have another choice."

"You are foolish my son. Once, land dwellers and us interacted more than we do now, and look where it lead us. Our only advantage now is that they think of us as legends."