~10~

A friend, Hoseok

Namjoon slowly lowers his book just below eye level, his neck slightly craned as he tries to hear the conversation by the counter, Hoseok nodding vigorously as EunAe talks to him.

When the pair looks his way, Namjoon almost drops the book in his hands, but he quickly regains his composure, readjusting the book so that he doesn't look suspicious, except for the fact that he is holding the book upside down.

Hoping they didn't notice, Namjoon keeps his gaze on the book, lowering the book once more as the girl approaches.

"Come on." She says offering her hand, the boy placing his book on the table as he stands up to follow her. "Hobi will help you for now. Call me over if you need anything."

"Okay." Namjoon manages to say, giving her a tight smile as she walks away to tend to some costumers.

"Relax Namjoon." Hoseok says offering him a reassuring smile. "I just need for you to answer some questions for me. That's all, we'll be done before you know it."

"Alright." Namjoon says leaning against the counter, the other boy pulling up a stool as he grabs a piece of paper and a pencil.

"Did EunAe explain what we're doing today?" He asks, smiling when the other boy nods his head.

"Yeah." Namjoon says. "EunAe said that I need to fill out some papers in order to be safe on land."

"Where should we begin?" Hoseok says tapping his chin repeatedly as he thinks. "Name?"

"Namjoon." The boy confidently answers.

"Okay." Hoseok says with a nod. "Last name?"

"Last name?" Namjoon repeats, confusion written on his face as he looks at Hoseok.

"Yeah, your last name goes in front of your name." Hoseok kindly explains. "So for example, my last name is Jung, so my full name is Jung Hoseok, and EunAe's last name is Lee so she is Lee EunAe."

"Ah, I see." Namjoon says nodding his head, his brain quickly going through all the words and names he's heard to choose one for himself. It was a though choice but after pondering for a while, he chooses the word that's heard as a last name but also reminds him of his home. "Kim." He says after a while, Hoseok quickly writing it down.

"Very good." He says with a smile. "Next would be date of birth."

"Um..well...I..." Namjoon stammers, his gaze focused on the wooden counter.

"I know Namjoon-ah." Hoseok says with a small smile. "Don't worry. Let's take it step by step, that's why I'm here to help." He reassures giving a pat on the back, briefly looking around before he whispers in his ear. "Your secret is safe."

"Thanks." Namjoon says finally relaxing, his brows furrowing as he processes Hoseok's words, finally looking at the boy after a while.

"How do I know?" Hoseok asks raising a brow, to which the ladder answers by shyly nodding his head. "EunAe and I are childhood friends." He begins. "We both met when we were young and would travel here for the summer. I used to take dance lessons in the institute around the corner. Every time we hung out, EunAe would not stop talking about her mysterious new friend, so when I saw you, and her, I just knew it was you."

"I see." Namjoon says with a nod, his cheeks turning a slight shade of pink.

"If you want to and feel comfortable with it, we can be friends as well." Hoseok says smiling at the boy. "It looks like we are around the same age, so please speak comfortably with me."

"I would like that." Namjoon says returning the smile, the boy beaming at him as he claps his hands.

Now that his secret was out in a way, Namjoon felt much more comfortable with the boy, allowing himself to relax more as they continue to talk.

"Is this really going to work Hob-ah?" Namjoon asks, brows drawn as they finish with the questions he prepared for the day.

"Yes." Hoseok says giving him a smile. "There's an organization that takes care of special cases like yours do there's no need to worry." He reassures. "It might take a while, but it's going to work."

"I see." Namjoon says managing a smile. "Thanks for all the help."

"Of course! That's what friends are for!" Hoseok says safely putting the papers away.

Speaking of friends, EunAe hadn't stopped by to check on them in a while, Namjoon surprised when he looks around the cafe and sees how packed it is.

"Looks like a busy day." Namjoon points out resting his hand on his chin.

"Yup. Better get back to work now." Hoseok says quickly cleaning the counter. "Oh! And Joon-ah?" He calls out before he walks away. "If you ever need anything, and I mean anything, I'm here to help. Just let me know."

"Thanks. I appreciate it." Namjoon says giving him a small smile, a small sigh escaping his lips as he heads back to the corner to read.

Land is surely more complicated than how he thought it be. It is a bit overwhelming but its complexity is intriguing to him at the same time. The more he learns about land, the more curious he grows.

At least now he has two friends to help him adjust to his new journey, adjusting shouldn't be too bad.

With those thoughts lingering in his mind, Namjoon goes back to his reading, smiling as he sees his friends working hard.

Fun fact: did you know that the word for seaweed in Korean is 김 (Kim) ? That's not what the last name Kim means but I thought I'd be fun to make a small pun about it in the story

Fun fact: did you know that the word for seaweed in Korean is (Kim) ? That's not what the last name Kim means but I thought I'd be fun to make a small pun about it in the story. 😁 it probably doesn't make much sense but if you understand the joke, high five and an extra heart for you 💙
Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed!
~Van
(2020.09.26)