Chapter Seven: Fac Ut Vivas

(Amaryllis's POV)

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

"Life I suppose."

"Any new discoveries?"

"Besides that it sucks? Not really."

Doris laughed.

I called Lincoln the following morning after he came to the shop. The dozen flowers he wanted ended up costing almost exactly $300. He paid me $330 and told me to keep the change. Said it was to pay for the one I'd be bringing Monday.

Today is Tuesday and I haven't heard or seen him since, but it's not like I expected to. It's just..... he perplexes me.
Something about him does anyway.

"Look," Doris said, pulling me from my thoughts. "She's back."

The woman that Doris calls Barbie is back. Doris has been enjoying listening to her phone conversations while I have been praying that the man she is after is a fast runner.

"Break time." Doris smiled.

She spends her break sitting a few tables away and eavesdropping. I was about to take my break when a customer walked over.

"What can I get you?" I asked, looking down at the screen.

"Amaryllis?"

I looked up to see Vick.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Hi. You work here? What about the shop?"

"This is my main job. I work here four days a week and at the shop three days. What brings you here?"

An emotion that I couldn't quite place flashed over his face before he smiled.

"I work nearby and love the coffee from here. You been working here long?"

"Maybe a year or two."

"Any....any of the Rockwells come here?"

"Couldn't tell you honestly. I know how many of them exist, but I have no idea what they look like."

"Not even from the magazines or anything?"

"The only magazines I read are about flowers and I rarely have time to watch TV. I get maybe a few hours in the evening, but I usually fall asleep on the couch. What about you?"

"I might be able to pick them out if I saw them. Like I said, I only really come here for the coffee."

"Well what can I get you then?"

"One americano and one cappuccino."

"Anything else?"

"Got any recommendations for breakfast?"

"The bagels are very good especially with our cream cheese. My personal favorite is the double-smoked bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich."