Chapter Twenty: Caeca Invidia Est

A/N:

Did I cry writing some of this?

Maybe a bit.

Enjoy!!!

-B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Lincoln's POV)

I was nervous. I'm hardly ever nervous, but today.....I'd never remembered being this nervous before.

"Lincoln, what are you doing here?"

I held up the key and his eyes went wide.

"I was wondering when you'd bring that." He said, standing from his chair and walking to the other side of the room.

He took down the picture that hung on the wall and removed a piece of the wall to reveal a safe. I watched as he opened the safe and pulled out a box. He placed it on his desk and laid his hands on top of it.

"Opening this......it's going to crest a lot of work for both you and me. A lot of headaches too."

"Is it worth it?"

"In the long run? It's very worth it."

"You know what's in it?"

"I have an idea."

We both stared at the box for a while before I got the nerve to open it.

The first thing I saw was another envelope addressed to me. Below my name was note that said to read it before looking at anything else, so I did.

Dear Lincoln,

There are two things in this box besides this letter. Both things are very important in regards to your future. I issued you a warning in the last note about the contents inside and here is why....

Caeca invidia est.
Envy is blind.

Your mother, brothers, and a lot of other people will become green with envy. Envy makes people blind. Be cautious. Please.

I wish you luck. Remember that I am on your side.

Love Always,

Dad

I grabbed the next I saw which was a small box. What was inside of that.....stunned me into silence.

It was a ring. A ring shaped like a flower and each petal was a diamond. A red diamond to be precise. Red diamonds are the rarest diamonds in the world. One carat is worth over a million dollars.

Taped to the inside lid of the box was a small note.

I know it may be too soon or you may just be friends, but I'm sure you can guess who this is for. I found it on one of the last outings I went on while in hospital. I saw it and thought of her for obvious reasons. Give it as a gift or as an engagement ring. Your choice.

I sat that box down and grabbed the giant envelope that was in the box. I opened it and pulled out the papers inside. There was another note on the front page.

You weren't here when I passed. I'm sure your mother couldn't wait until you arrived to read my will and told you what it said. I'm sure you didn't question it and that's okay.

This is my will. Whatever your mother said was a lie. You were voted in as CEO because that's what I worked out with the board of directors before I was hospitalized and I signed everything over to you before I passed. By now, I can only assume that your older brothers and your mother are looking for my will to find a loophole that gets you out of office. With you out of office, it's up for grabs. That means that the money is up for grabs.