Chapter Fourteen: Nemini Cedere

(Lincoln's POV)

"Any reason why we're down here?" Vick asked with a smirk on his face.

"Just thought I'd save you the trip." I shrugged.

He rolled his eyes. "How thoughtful of you."

We were sitting at a table in the coffee shop where I had a clear view of Amaryllis behind the counter.

It's been four days since she told me about my dad and we officially started seeing each other. Vick and Julie were the only ones who knew. They were the only ones I could really trust.

We both agreed it'd be best to keep our relationship a secret for the time being. Having my mother, Priscilla, and everyone else complaining and scheming was something I didn't want to handle yet.

"If you're going to stare it will become rather obvious real fast." Vick said, pulling my gaze away.

I sighed. "I suppose you have a point."

I glanced back up just in time to see Amaryllis staring at me. She gave me a wink and a smile before going back to doing what she was doing.

Vick's phone went off at that exact moment. He checked his phone and then gave me a pained expression.

"What?"

"Your mother demands your attendance."

"Where and why?"

"Tonight for dinner and she didn't say why."

I groaned.

I'd planned on spending time with Amaryllis tonight.

"How about you go in my place?" I asked.

He laughed.

He laughed so hard he cried.

"Not f*cking happening."

"At least go with me? I can't do another family dinner alone."

"Better be some good f*cking food and booze."

"Thank you."

He nodded.

It was a few hours later on my lunch break when I texted Amaryllis and told her to meet me in the back stairwell.

She came running up the steps with a smile on her face.

"I told Doris I was going to pee, so make it snappy." She grinned.

I pulled her in for a hug and let out a sigh.

"You have to cancel on me, don't you?" She asked.

"I'm sorry. My mother is demanding my attendance for dinner. I have no idea what it's about, but I'm making Vick go with me."

"Can't you come see me after?"

"It's hard to be telling how late it'll be."

She pouted and I chuckled.

"I'll text you and if you're still awake then I'll visit. Deal?"

"Deal." She smiled.

I kissed her forehead and sent her back down.

When the day was finally over and it was time for dinner, I was annoyed. Just the thought of sitting through a dinner with them had me annoyed.

Vick and I were about to walk in when my phone vibrated.

💐Flower of Mine💐:
Nemini cedere.

I grinned.

Yield to no one.