Chapter Twenty-Three: Facilius Est Vitae Risus

(Amaryllis's POV)

I pulled on a hoodie, jeans, and tennis shoes before walking into the living room.

"Want us to go with you?" Mom asked softly.

I shook my head. "It's still not very safe."

"Alright. Call us if you need anything."

I nodded.

Lincoln had stood with his arm wrapped around me as we watched firemen work hard to put the fire out. I didn't even realize Lincoln had called 911 until they showed up.
They had gotten the fire out before it reached my apartment, but the support beams were so damaged that my apartment came crashing down minutes after the fire was out.

That was all last night. Lincoln sent me back to my parents house while he stayed and spoke to the police. Today, we're going back over to see what belongings of mine we can get.

"What should we focus on?" Linc asked, rubbing my leg as he drove.

"I don't care about the clothes. I can buy new ones. Just....look for things like pictures and stuff." I answered.

"Alright."

"I had a safe in my closet that is built to withstand all kinds of damage. I need to find that too."

Police and the fire department were both there when we arrived. Lincoln was the one who had asked them if we could come back to see what we could...save. They said we could, but that we couldn't stay long and we had to leave if they deemed it very unsafe.

Linc had brought a box to put the stuff we found in which I hadn't even thought about. Then again, it's like my brain was frozen. I couldn't or hadn't fully processed what happened. All I kept thinking was that I had to be dreaming.

One firefighter stuck with me and another went with Linc as we carefully navigated over the burnt remains of my shop and collapsed apartment.

They gave us two hours to search for things and then we had to go. We found my safe, pictures, my laptop safely in its case, and a few other things. Linc even managed to find some of my clothing that wasn't ruined or damaged.

"Do you know the cause yet?" Lincoln asked once we put everything in his car.

The guy in charge of investigating whether a fire is arson or not glanced at me and then back at Linc.

"It looks like arson." He said and Lincoln's hands balled into fists.

"What happens now?" I asked.

"The police will want to talk to you for anything you might be able to give them. They'll want to know if you know anyone who could've done this and for what reason."

"What will happen to those responsible?" I asked.

"If it was intended to harm or kill you then they could get a lifetime sentence. If they knew you weren't there and didn't want to hurt you then they'll most likely get 20 years. Those two outcomes depend on if there is proof and if they are convicted."

"Thank you."

"Sure thing. Feel free to call if you have anymore questions."

We got in the car to leave and made it to my parents driveway before I broke down and started crying. Linc unbuckled our seatbelts, pushed his seat back, and pulled me onto his lap.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, kissing the side of my head.

I looked up and placed my hands on both sides of his face.

"I know they're your family. I would never ask you to...."

He shook his head. "Amaryllis, they don't mean anything to me anymore. You do. Your family does. I am going to do everything in my power to get them locked up for this. But if they....if they mea....."

He trailed off, his face taking on a look of pure fury and hatred.

"But if they what?"

"If they thought you were in there.....if they meant to kill you...."

He closed his eyes and rested his forehead against mine.

"Promise you won't do anything rash. The police are investigating it. Let's just tell them everything and let them handle it. Okay? Promise me. I don't want anything to happen to you." I said.

He sighed. "I promise that...I won't do anything rash."

"How did they find out about me? About my shop? Or that I love above it? What if they come after my parents?"

"Can I make a suggestion?" He asked and I nodded. "Your parents have a lot of things packed up, right?"

"Right."

"Can we move everything into a storage facility and then you all come stay with me? My family is banned from my property. They can't get in without the gate code and I have security cameras and security guards who check the perimeter every hour. Until this is all settled, I need you to be where I know you'll be safe."

"Whether they like it or not, let's do that." I said. "Can we do it tonight?"

"I have some guys that I can call to start moving their stuff."

I nodded. "You can call them while I tell my parents."

I went to open his door to get out, but he stopped me.

"Your parents....they won't hate me will they?"

"Why would they hate you?"

"Because my family is doing this."

"Babe, they won't hate you. If anything, they'll hate that your family is putting you through this. They'll hate that a mother is putting her son through this. They won't hate you." I said, kissing him gently.

My parents didn't argue when I told them and they immediately went to pack what they needed to take. Ten guys showed up within thirty minutes with a moving truck and started packing boxes out. Linc had Tony, his driver, take my parents and Percy to his house while we stayed behind to make sure the guys got everything and to lock the doors.

When we got to his house, my dad had already made himself home in Lincoln's recliner with Percy on his lap. He told Lincoln he was going to have to buy himself the same chair and Lincoln just laughed.

I sat down beside my mom and smiled at her.

"You okay?" She asked quietly.

"I'm okay. Are you okay?"

Her and dad had spent years making the shop what it was and in an instant it was gone.

"Shop are replaceable. People aren't."

I smiled. "This is true."

"You know what?" Dad asked, causing us to look over at him as Lincoln sat beside me.

"What?"

"Now, with the money from Lachlan, you can take time away from working, finish your degree, and build your own shop."

"He's right." Lincoln said, grabbing my hand in his. "We'll focus on settling all of this and then you can start back to school."

Mom grabbed my hand. "Until then, we smile and not let anyone drag us down."

"Facilius est vitae risus." Lincoln said.

I nodded. "Life is easier with a smile."