Chapter Twenty-One: Divide Et Impera

(Amaryllis's POV)

I sat in my car in front of my parents house trying to figure out how I was going tell them about Lachlan's will and what he left us. I wasn't sure how they'd react.

Lincoln was going to come with me, but we decided it'd be best to divide et impera, divide and conquer. He also felt that it'd be safer....for me. While I told my parents, he was going to give his mother the news. Having met her once, I knew she wouldn't take the news very well.

I walked into my parents house and found them both in the living room watching TV.

"What brings you here? Did you bring Lincoln?" Mom asked.

"Uh no. He's busy and I need to talk to you both about something."

"Are you pregnant?" Dad asked, scowling.

"What? No, I'm not pregnant."

I muted the TV and took a seat across from them.

"Lachlan Donnelley." I said.

"Lachlan? What about him?"

"That wasn't his actual name."

"What do you mean?"

"Donnelley was his mother's maiden name. His name was actually Lachlan Rockwell."

They stared at me with blank expressions.

"As in THE Lachlan Rockwell and Lincoln....is Lincoln Rockwell."

"What? What are you talking about?"

I explained everything, but left out the what he left us. I needed to ease into that part.

"So....we were friends with Lachlan Rockwell and you're dating his son, Lincoln. The same Lincoln who is in the papers, on the news, and is the owner of a multi-billion dollar company?"

"That's not all though."

"Lachlan's will was found a few days ago and we are in it."

"What do you mean we're in it?" Mom asked.

I told them everything he left to us and I thought they were both going to have a heart attack. I also let them read the part of the letter he left me explaining why he left all those things to us and they started to cry.

"That money.....it will save us." Mom cried.

"It will."

"I've always wanted a big house. Not a mansion sized one though." Dad chuckled.

"This will change everything for us." Mom whispered.

"Where is Lincoln? Can he come see us?"

"He's with his mother right now. He's....delivering the news to her and his family."

"Oh dear. They'll be angry, worn they?"

"That brings me to the next thing I want to discuss with you."

"Which is?"

"I'm going to stay with you all for the next week or so until documents are signed and everything is settled. Lincoln.....might also stay a few nights."

"Amaryllis, be honest with me. Are we in danger because of this?" Dad asked.

"We're not sure. His family is.....they...."

"Love their money more than each other?"

I nodded. "Pretty much. All of this is going to be a big blow to them. They're going to be very angry and probably feel betrayed by him. Only his sister knows we're dating, but he'll have to tell them who the house and money is going to."