Kaylee-24

By the time the week finally ended I was utterly exhausted. Not only physically, but mentally as well. And not only could I still not sleep very well without the warmth of Luke's body next to mine, but Luke had been acting odd for the past few weeks. He had been especially distant while we were at school, barely even saying two words to me as he met me between classes. It felt as though he was starting to push me away, and I just didn't know why.

Almost all of the rumors had died down. I guess it helped that we didn't show any sort of affection in public. The only ones who gave us problem anymore were Grace, Aaron, and the majority of the football team. I doubted either of us were surprised by that, though it was still infuriating.

The only thing more infuriating was the way Luke had been acting.

I was looking forward to this Thanksgiving break, hoping to spend most of my time with him so I could pull him out of the funk he had slipped into. At least thats all I hoped it was. He had been acting so off- every time he refused to look at me my stomach dropped to the pit of my stomach. Not only had he barely looked at me the last few weeks, but he had barely touched me. He ate dinner with us just a couple nights ago and when I took him home I didn't get a kiss goodbye. I wasn't sure if I was just overthinking everything- which was a very real possibility... and I really hoped I was.

I had a feeling I wasn't, though, the image of him turning his head so my lips landed on his cheek running through my mind. It was another thing he had started doing over the past few weeks. He wouldn't kiss me, and he wouldn't let me kiss him. And I hated that I was so hurt by it.

And to think I couldn't sleep before- I definitely couldn't sleep now. My mind decided to think of all the possible things that could have gone wrong. Maybe I did something and he was regretting this whole thing. I really had no idea.

But every night, for the past three or four weeks, I've only gotten- at most- four hours of sleep. The bags under my eyes were getting a little out of hand. I did my best to hide them, considering they made me look like I was deathly ill- at least according to my mom, but makeup didn't help much. Even Liz had mentioned how tired I looked when I was at their house last week. Luke, however, did not make a comment.

I could tell he was tired too, though. His normally bright and lively skin had turned to a dull sickly color. I had mentioned it to him, though he shrugged it off. I knew he was lying. After spending so much time with him I noticed that he had a tell. Anytime he lied he would bring his hand to play with his lip- the spot where his lip ring would normally be. I hated that I noticed it, seeing that I caught him in every single lie now. Of course he didn't know that, though.

Anytime I caught him lying and asked about it, he would just continue to lie.

At the moment he was sitting in my passenger seat, silently staring out the window- just like he had done all week. I didn't want to complain, considering he was still coming over every day after school. We spent our days doing homework and watching movies before I would take him home. The only down side is now he only spoke maybe ten words to me for the few hours we got to spend by ourselves. It was driving mad- he was driving me mad.

I took a quick glance at him as we slipped out of my car, both of us taking slow strides towards my front door. I noticed how he walked with head hung low, his jaw clenching and unclenching as though he were angry about something. I hoped he wasn't mad at me.

"Are you okay?" I questioned him. Those felt like the only three words I had spoken to him for the past forty-eight hours- considering he didn't want to talk about anything and I didn't know what else I could say.

He only nodded in response, my frown deepening as I watched him fall down onto the couch and close his eyes. I stayed silent for a moment, turning away from him to turn on the TV. I didn't car what was on, as long as there was some noise to keep me from going absolutely insane.