Luke-11

She sighed, her breathe slowly evening out as I held her to my chest. I could feel goosebumps across her skin, her body shaking lightly in my hold. I tried to pull her closer, wanting to keep her as warm as I could, but I didn't think I could move her body any closer to mine... there was already no space between us.

"Is she sleeping?" I glanced up at my mum, her eyes swimming with questions. I shifted a little to look down at the beautiful girl in my arms, her eyelids fluttering as though she were dreaming.

"Yeah." I whispered, doing my best to not wake her.

I met my mums gaze, raising my eyebrows when she didn't say anything. I knew these questions would come, and I just wanted to get past them. "What's going between the two of you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is there something going on with you two?" She asked, rolling her eyes. I knew what she meant, and she knew it. I just wasn't exactly sure how to answer. I had only really met her 48 hours ago... how was I supposed to know what was going on?

"I don't know." I answered truthfully, my mother shaking her head.

"She's very pretty." She started, my gaze slipping back to look at the sleeping blonde. I couldn't disagree with my mum, she was absolutely beautiful. "And she's very sweet." Another thing I couldn't disagree with. "And you took a beating for her. Something has to be going on."

Once I finally looked back at her she had that look on her face. The face only a mother can give you when she knows something that you don't. And I didn't like it. "She's my friend mum."

"Don't lie to me."

"She's a friend."

"Did she stay with you last night?" My face flushed at her question, how did she know that?

"What- what why?" I cursed myself for stuttering, her question catching me off guard completely. How could she possibly know that she stayed the night?

"I found a cheerleading uniform in your room when we got back this morning. She's on the cheer team, is she not?" I'm pretty sure my heart stopped... my face going red as I realized she left my house in my clothes. We didn't even think to get her stupid cheer top. Fuck.

"Oh... yeah, she- uh- she stayed with me."

"Did you two...?"

"Mum! No!" My eyes opened wide, my head shaking slightly. This was not a conversation I ever wanted to have with my mum.

"Luke-"

"We didn't!" I interrupted her, my eyes pleading with her to just change the subject. 

"Then what happened?"

"Nothing. Mum, she is a friend." Even as the words rolled off my tongue, they didn't feel right. It felt as though the statement was a lie, and I don't think I had ever been more confused. I mean sure, she was pretty and she was nice... but it had to be some type of infatuation. I didn't know her well enough to actually like her.

"Well, the two of you seemed to have gotten close in the past 24 hours."

She was right. Barely two days ago I didn't know the girl, but here she was sleeping in my arms. "And?"

"And... I like her. I think she'd be good for you."

"Yeah... well-" I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to say to that, but thankfully the doctor reentered the room, his gaze immediately shifting to the girl in my arms. He didn't say anything about it, raising his eyebrows as though he wanted to ask, but knew better not to.