Luke-03

Two hours had passed without me noticing, my fingers sore from strumming on my guitar nonstop. I wasn't sure how I had let so much time pass, but I did know I couldn't stop thinking about Kaylee. Her blonde hair and bright eyes kept swimming through my head, effectively driving me insane.

I jumped, startled when the phone started ringing. I slipped my guitar off my shoulders, sighing heavily as I made my way over to the phone. "Hello?"

"Luke, it's your mother."

"Hello." I repeated, rolling my eyes slightly. I mean, we had caller I.D.

"Your father and I are going out to dinner and then we might go downtown for a little so we won't be back until late. Will you be alright to fend for yourself?"

"Yes mum, I can handle myself."

"Are you sure? Cause we can come get you if you want to come with us."

"No mum, I'll be fine."

I heard her sigh heavily through the phone, my eyes rolling again as was already predicting her next words before she said them. "I don't want you sitting at home by yourself, we are going to come back and get first. We'll be back in about fifteen minutes."

"No mum, I'll be fine." I repeated myself, my hands tightening into fists at my side. Ever since we moved here she acted as though I was incapable of taking care of myself and I was quickly getting sick of it. I was seventeen, not six.

"Luke, all you're going to do is sit home and feel sorry for yourself, you aren't fooling anyone."

"No I'm not-"

"Maybe if you stopped moping around in self-pity you'd actually make a friend or two. It's really not that hard."

"Don't come get me." I groaned, ignoring her comment about me having no friends- as if I didn't already know.

"We'll be there soon, love you honey."

"Mum!"

"Don't you yell me."

"Mum, I have plans tonight, don't come get me."

An immense amount of frustration was coursing through me as she chuckled across the line, clearly not believing me. "Oh sure you do. Plans for what? Sitting in your room acting all sad and depressed? You aren't going to fool me."

"I'm going to the football game." I hissed, gripping the phone tightly.

"Oh... with who?"

"A friend." The words came out before I could stop them, my mind immediately flashing back to the girl who had taken over my thoughts for the past few hours. I wasn't sure if I could really consider her a friend, but it was going to have to do to get my mum off my case.

"You finally have a friend!?" She exclaimed, a low groan leaving me at her shocked expression. I needed to get her off the phone before I went positively mad.

"Yeah, goodbye mum."

"Okay, have fun! Love you, bye."

I groaned loudly as I hung up the phone, setting it back down. I debated with myself whether or not I should actually go to the game. Even if I went there was no guarantee that I would even get to see Kaylee- I mean I would get to see her cheering down on the field but that was portal it. I would have to stand there by myself for a solid two hours before making my way home... where I could go back to sitting in my room drowning myself in self-pity. My parents would never know if I never actually went to the game, and I could always come up with a cover story.