Kaylee-02

I groaned to myself as I pulled back into the school, Coach's grande Caramel Macchiato in hand. The trip hadn't taken nearly as long as I would've liked, meaning I would soon have to face Grace. Now don't get me wrong, I love the girl, but I was in no mood to deal with her today, not after everything she had been saying. Aaron was the last thing I wanted to think about, meanwhile it was the only thing she wanted to think about. 

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Grace's shrill voice reaches my ears the second I step through the doors.

"What are you talking about?"

"Aaron said he saw that nerd get in your car! Why the fuck are you socializing with him!? He's crazy!"

My eyes roll without my consent, Grace's face burning red with anger. "No, he is not."

"Aaron said he walked up to him after you left and threatened him. Saying that he was gonna have you and that Aaron needed to back off or else."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "I highly doubt that."

"You don't even know him! We've known Aaron since middle school. You just met this kid, and he seems like a creep to me."

"Well, he is very nice." I said through clenched teeth, starting to walk towards Coach's office. "And I invited him to the game tonight."

She gasped her lips opening as she starts to speak again, but I tune her out. I love her, I really do, but I can only deal with her in small doses. And I was in no mood to deal with this shit.

I walk in to Coach Kellan's office and set her coffee down on the desk, her gaze flickering up to me then to the cup before she smiles appreciatively. "Thank you sweetie."

"No problem."

"Can you make sure all the girls are together and ready to walk down to the field at 6:45?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you." I nod and walk out, closing the door behind me.

"Shit." I suck in a sharp breath, my heart pounding as I turn around to face Grace once again, her eyes narrowed my way. "What the hell?!?"

"You. Need. To. Get. With. Aaron." She pauses after every word.

"What part of no, do you not understand?" I sigh, turning to head back towards the team room.

"What I don't understand is why your saying no."

"Because I am not at all attracted to him." I say matter-of-factly, throwing my hands up as though it would help me prove my point.

"Ugh!" Her hands fly through the air in frustration.

"Why are you pushing this so hard!?"

"Because it's how it's supposed to be! The QB and the head cheerleader. It's the power couple of the school. You'd be homecoming queen and prom queen! That's just how it works!" I ignore her groan of frustration as I speed up, trying my best to get away from her. 

She doesn't follow me, thank the lord, and I am surprised to find the team room empty. I still have plenty of time before I have to track everyone down, and with the way my day has been going I think I could use a little nap. Hopefully by the time the game starts Grace will have calmed down and dropped this whole thing, even if only for a little while. 

Setting my alarm for 6:10 to give me plenty of time to find everyone, I curl up in a ball on the couch, placing my phone on the table to make sure I can hear it when the alarm goes off.

I'm out as soon as I close my eyes.

*    *    *

I'm woken up later, but not by my alarm. It was the sound of a squeaking door, opening slowly. It was one of those sounds that you try to ignore, but eventually is the only thing you can hear until it makes you want to explode, possibly hit something... or someone. One of those sounds you are only faintly aware of until it is all you can hear, the stupid sound of a squeaky opening door.