19 | Time (II)

"Get ready," Reeca drew her sword

Xanthy frowned and rubbed at the back of her head. What happened in the tower and why was she running across the grassy field with her friends? What was that loud sound just now? Was she hearing...cheering?

Where's Nyxis?

The last question was answered first when Nyxis dropped from the sky. He was pale; his eyes were wild.

"An army is gathering past the moat," Nyxis trudged towards Reeca with a scowl. "Is that what Vikara was talking about?"

Reeca flapped her wings only wince at something bothering her. "We ran out of time without throwing the flare," she massaged her shoulders and cracked her neck. "What do you expect?"

"They are on the wrong side of the moat," Nyxis waved his arms. His tone was clipped. "They would not be able to cross the bridge that way."

"That is why we must do our work from the inside to make sure they would make it across," Reeca raised an eyebrow. "Or would you rather not fight your family?"

Nyxis sputtered. His cheeks reddened. "I want whatever this is to be over," he crossed his arms. "Will you at least help with that?"

Xanthy cleared her throat. "Vikara said to never go into battle," she raised a finger.

"Yeah. Vikara also told you to stay in the Temple," Reeca rolled her eyes. "Do not engage the Queen? Remember that?"

Xanthy pursed her lips. She couldn't even remember what happened after the Queen got her legacy. The pain from that spell was still heavy on her shoulders and still bit at her muscles. "Yeah, okay," she rolled her wrists. "We have to get Marin out of here. Was that not the mission in the first place?"

Reeca jerked her chin towards a vague direction. "You do that," she snapped. "I am staying here to fight."

Xanthy knitted her eyebrows. Reeca was here just to experience being in the battlefield. Perhaps, she was here for another reason, entirely.

"Fine," Xanthy tucked her arms by her chest. "I would need guidance in the tunnels, though. Nyxis?"

She turned to her friend. Nyxis shook his head. "I have to help out here and make sure the kingdom would not fall over my head," he sighed. "I am still a prince, you know?"

Of course. He still felt obligated to help his kingdom. Xanthy nodded. "I understand."

"I would not mind going with you," June said from behind Xanthy. She whirled to find him with his eyes to the ground. Oh.

Xanthy tried to smile at him. What he said to her before all of this flashed in her mind. Her smile fell. Instead, she stalked towards Marin. The girl avoided her, too.

"I am—"

"Not now, please," Marin rasped. Her jaw was clenched. She looked everywhere except at Xanthy.