13 | Anger (I)

June slammed the door behind him, shutting it in Xanthy's face

"June!" Xanthy pushed the door open. They were back in their shared room with June having his back to her.

"What are you even doing here?" June rasped. His Keijula was as fluent as his common tongue.

Xanthy shut the door behind her and sighed. "I didn't know," she blurted. This was probably the lamest apology she mustered all her life. Not that she had to apologize for something before. "Why didn't you tell me?"

June scoffed and turned to her. "And what? Have you call me a 'hideous monster'?" he gestured vaguely around them. He cursed as he shoved his fingers into his hair and braced his hips. "Gods, you're such a hypocrite."

The word stabbed Xanthy's heart. Hypocrite.

June huffed. "I don't even understand why you suddenly wanted to rescue the Draswists," he shook his head. "What? Are you trying to atone for your sentiments? Are you trying to play the good, noble guy? Just because you have that special magic doesn't make you a savior."

"I know that," Xanthy rasped. She ran her hand over her arm. "I don't know how I am supposed to save anything when all I do is endanger everyone. But know this," she raised her eyes to meet June's dark ones. "I never wish to be the good guy or a savior. I just need to save my friends."

Her eyes burned and she tried blinking her tears away. "And if you think that I'm as shallow as you've said," she wiped the rebellious tears that fell. "Then there's no use in helping me, right? You're free to go. Forget about me."

June was silent. His fists were curled at his sides.

"I'm sorry for the things I've said about fairies and half-bloods," Xanthy blew a shaky breath.

"Stop," June whispered.

Xanthy shook her head. "No, hear me out. I'm still learning, June. I promise I will be better—"

"Just stop, will you?" June put his arms forward. "Stop."

"June, I—"

June clicked his tongue. "I've heard enough."

"Why are you even here?" Xanthy narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. "Are you one of the people aiming to get the Virtakios, too?"

"No!" June yelled. He pushed his hair off his face. "Is that really what you take me for?"

Xanthy laughed without humor. "Well, you did take me for less," she snapped. "What's stopping me from doing it to you?"

"This is impossible," June massaged the bridge of his nose. "I need to go."

Xanthy sidestepped as June strode past her to reach the door. "June—"

"I need to get ready for tomorrow," he muttered as he yanked the door open. "To think this is all for you and about you."