22 | Explanation (I)

"Diran, take the left!" Vikara yelled, jarring Nyxis from the battlements

He clung to the stone as he heaved himself up. His vision spun as he peered down the battle. Vikara yelled in defiance, running to meet the Sugrarsask head on. The woman, with the painter alongside her, slammed into the animal. Black blood spewed. A piercing roar shook the walls.

The creature buckled and rowed. Vikara and Diran shouted, drawing the creature's attention away from something. Two figures in red cloaks ran towards another person lying on the ground where the Sugrarsask had just been.

Nyxis squinted at the splash of color and bark being hauled away. Was that...Reeca?

From high up, he watched the mages lay the varichria against the wall. Her forehead shone slick with blood, red mixing with the black covering her from the neck down. Hmm. Fairy blood mixed with Sugrarsask's? That's an area of exploration. Nyxis couldn't wait to try to brew that. Someday.

A cleret sank its teeth into Nyxis's boots. He kicked it away. Transformed animals always carry a bit of a grudge. Perhaps, Nyxis would turn them back later or if they're lucky, the spell would wear off on its own.

Vikara's scream followed by a whizzing sword rang through the battlefield. The Sugrarsask's head tore from its neck in a spray of black blood and landed with a roll on the grass. Tons of fur and headless flesh staggered with the wind before tumbling to the ground with a resounding thud. Silence.

The rebels cheered. Civil Knights edged away from the wall, no doubt relieved. Vikara moved to sheath her sword. Then, she tensed.

Nyxis whirled to the direction he observed the woman did. Adresin strode from behind a line of Civil Knights.

Nyxis's throat closed up. No. No one would harm his brother.

WIth a grunt, Nyxis jumped from the battlements and dashed to the ground. Wind drove his hair away from his forehead and stung his eyes. Grass drew closer. He extended his arms. His magic came in weak sputters. That would do.

"Hasten!" he screamed, the maxia spell biting his lips. Magic wrapped around his body and he sped forward, hovering a few distance from the ground. He tore through Knights and Rebels alike, keeping his eyes on Vikara and Diran stalking towards his brother from the opposite direction.

Adresin bellowed something to his Knights. He hadn't spotted Vikara weaving from the crowd. Nyxis gritted his teeth. Faster.

Vikara emerged from the haze of bodies and lunged. Nyxis slammed into his brother.

"What the—" Vikara cursed. Nyxis and Adresin tumbled to the ground in a tangle of limbs and golden armor.

Adresin shoved Nyxis off him just as Nyxis pushed his brother behind. Nyxis spread his arm as if to guard Adresin. His brother sputtered behind him.