11 | Nobility (II)

"Touch nothing until the Temple declares you worthy," the woman said as she turned around and led them deeper into the foyer

"Touch nothing until the Temple declares you worthy," the woman said as she turned around and led them deeper into the foyer. Xanthy's stomach soured at that statement. Who does this woman think she is?

Her question was answered when Vikara stepped forward. The plain red rugs muffled her scuffle. "High Priestess," Vikara called. "We seek sanctuary. Do not turn us over to the State."

The woman, rather, the High Priestess turned. Her dark eyes flashed. "The Temple owes none debts, and its allegiance is on itself and to none other."

Vikara pursed her lips.

"Follow me," the High Priestess resumed walking. Xanthy crossed her arms against her chest and tramped with her companions past arrays of long benches. The walls fitted with tapestries told a dozen stories in them. Colors exploded and merged to paint scene after scene from how Humans won the war against fairies, established their kingdom, and elected the first monarchs.

Finally, the Priestess stopped in front of an altar. Xanthy's eyes settled on the grail sitting atop a wooden pedestal. Polished metal glinted against the candlelight illuminating the whole room, giving Xanthy a glimpse of the Ylanen symbols printed around the grail's brim. The High Priestess plucked the grail by its gem-encrusted stem and turned to Xanthy and her companions again.

The High Priestess held out the grail. "This is the Grail of Cleansing," she dipped a hand in and the sound of water sloshing resounded in the Temple's walls. "It will help you deal with yourself and be worthy of the Temple of Magic's secrets."

"What is this?" Xanthy leaned towards June who stood beside her.

June edged away and shrugged. "Just go along with it," he said flatly. Xanthy knitted her eyebrows. What's his problem? She was just asking!

The High Priestess made them stand in a horizontal line facing the altar. Xanthy ended up studying the velvet curtains framing a strange symbol fixed into the gray stone wall.

The High Priestess touched Reeca's head and the varichria flinched when the water touched her scalp. Was this some sort of an anointing ceremony? Anointing for what, though?

Next, Vikara received her blessing then June. Each time, the High Priestess whispered a prayer too fast for Xanthy to understand.

Xanthy resisted the urge to step back when the High Priestess finished whisking water over Nyxis's head and came for her. Her boots became her distraction as the High Priestess stopped in front of Xanthy. Wow, was the Priestess barefoot?

The High Priestess clicked her tongue. "Raw strength wasted."

Before Xanthy could react, the High Priestess shoved her hand inside the chalice and drew it out. The prayer was muttered and Xanthy pursed her lips at the water flowing down her forehead. The water reached the tip of her nose before dripping into the rugs. It was...refreshing.