8 | Train (I)

2412, Tull 24, Velpa

"Angle your aim so you wouldn't hit anything else," Vikara instructed as she pushed Xanthy's elbow higher.

They were currently in one of the open grounds in the estate between Vikara's mansion and the building Xanthy knew as the businessmen's hangout. During the course of her stay, she had seen nobles, footmen, and traders enter the estate using another gate located in another street and stay in that ornate, three-story building.

Xanthy heard from a gaggle of weavers on her way out here that there was an important Duke or something staying inside the gazebo for the night. Sweat beaded on her forehead as her magic once again hovered at the surface of her skin. She hoped she wouldn't hit that building.

An overgrown topiary stood in front of Xanthy. Vikara had some men drag it from a corner and presented within Xanthy's line of sight. The goal was to hit it with whatever spell she could muster.

Vikara had forced Xanthy to memorize a number of spells for the last three days. Then, Xanthy hadn't seen Vikara until she received an invitation to practice magic earlier. By that time, Xanthy had mastered the art of saying the words to the spell without triggering her magic.

"The key is control," June had said when he caught Xanthy reciting spells to herself in the weaving room. "Maxia spells are common words so it takes a huge amount of control to be able to say them in a normal conversation without something exploding or transforming into a cleret."

Xanthy snorted at the memory and Vikara snapped her fingers. "Focus," the woman said sternly.

Oops. Xanthy shook her head and leveled her gaze. One of the important aspects in magic casting was aim and accuracy. The reason why the Civil Guards were able to hit her even when she and June were running was a product of years of training those specific skill sets.

Xanthy straightened her arm and used her other hand to support it. She locked her eyes where she guessed the topiary's heart was. Warmth tickled her veins and wrapped around her tongue. She took a deep breath.

"Pierce," she chanted.

A lance-like bolt of energy shot out of her palm and speared forward. Xanthy glanced at Vikara. The woman screamed something that got cut off as a barrier formed around her. Then, out of nowhere, Xanthy's spell struck the barrier and bounced off.

Xanthy ducked as her own spell whizzed past her and slammed with an explosion somewhere behind her. The topiary remained pristine. Where...?

"Don't take your eyes off your target even if the spell has been cast," Vikara's tone wasn't impressed. The woman certainly wasn't clapping.

A wooden pillar snapped off the gazebo's atrium with a groan before tumbling down with a splitting crack. Xanthy winced. Oops.

"I have to go and explain to the Duke," Vikara cursed, pushing past Xanthy. "Might have to make something up."