24 | Destiny

2412, Strilaxis 04, Kindreth

Xanthy munched on butterbread while she waited for the others, sitting on a bench by the Temple's foyer. Vikara stood beside her. Having bought the satchel filled with butterbread, the woman shook her head when Xanthy offered her some.

Huh. It's her loss. More for Xanthy, then.

Xanthy didn't even know what butterbread looked like until she saw it in her altered memories. Now, it seemed like it's her favorite food.

"Hey," a cheerful voice emanated from the Temple's entrance. June, with his hair fully white and his dark cloak billowing behind him, gave a small wave when he got to Vikara's side. He plopped beside Xanthy and speared for a butterbread. She frowned as he winked at her while he munched on her bread.

She rolled her eyes. Whatever.

The wind shifted to Xanthy's left and Reeca descended. Her soles made a light tap against the floor. "What are we here for?" she raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

"Sorry, I got held up with a potion—" Nyxis gripped the strap of his satchel and exhaled. "Hi," he gave a small wave before turning to Vikara. "You called?"

Xanthy turned to Vikara. The rising sun formed a halo around the woman and stung Xanthy's eyes as she looked up at the woman's face.

"To business, then," Vikara pursed her lips. Reeca trotted to Xanthy's side and sat on the bench. Xanthy swung the sack of butterbread at Reeca. The varichria shook her head. Xanthy shrugged as she ducked her hand inside and took another piece.

Nyxis remained standing but shifted his weight to one foot. "What business are we even talking about?"

VIkara jerked her chin in his direction. "What would you do with your kingdom?"

Nyxis flinched. "Oh," he gave a shaky laugh and rubbed the back of his neck. "I do not want to have anything to do with Palaces, if you know what I mean."

"You are the next in line in the Helgase family," Vikara narrowed his eyes. Xanthy nodded. It would only be natural for him to take over. Inwardly, amusement blossomed in Xanthy's gut. Imagine, being friends with the King of Cardina. How great would that be?

Nyxis shook his head. Xanthy frowned. "I really do not want the throne, Vikara," he tousled his hair.

"But the ceremonies are being prepared as we speak. The ministers, the Temple—"

"I have a better idea," Nyxis's eyes sparkled. He motioned for Vikara to come closer and he whispered something in her ear. The woman's eyebrows raised higher at each second.

Xanthy knitted her eyebrows. What were they talking about?

Finally, Vikara drew away and tapped her chin. "Yes, that could work," she turned to a passing priestess mopping the floor of the foyer. "Tell the High Priestess to find a human named Tobin..."